Need help with abscessed earlobe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunnysideupstateNY, Jan 28, 2011.

1. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I just found a marble sized abscess on my 8 month old partridge rock female. It looks blue and white on the outside and when squeezed appears painful. I think I saw a few puncture points on the area. I'll try bringing her in to see if I can get some exudate out and what color it really is. I have some tetracycline here at the house.

Any one have ideas on how to go about this? Puncture, squeeze and clean?

Any ideas on keeping it covered after the fact?

Thanks....I'll post pictures soon.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. SunnysideupstateNY

May 15, 2010
    And she has a full crop.....there are two puncture points but I'm having a tough time getting it open even with a scalpel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd just watch it. Once the abscess "ripens" it will force the scab open and it will drain on it's own. As long as she's eating and drinking fine, just watch it and her

Try some warm epsom salt water as a compress several times a day to see if that will help it to come to the surface. It probably is painful but might not be ready to drain yet. If you can wrap her in a towel and cover her head so she'll relax you might be able to soak her earlobe in a glass or small bowl... let us know how it goes.

4. SunnysideupstateNY

May 15, 2010
    Will do. Thank you so much. I was hesitant to preform minor surgery especially when I don't have a place to keep her separate form the other girls right now.

5. Ozchicken1

Ozchicken1 New Egg

Sep 19, 2009
    I'd say she needs antibiotics.

6. SunnysideupstateNY

May 15, 2010
    The thing with an abscess is that the body has already walled off the infection itself. Only if I had to cut it open would I give antibiotics b/c then the bacteria has entered the blood.

7. SunnysideupstateNY

May 15, 2010
    The abscess is gone! I gave her lots of yogurt and garlic to boost her immune system and watched it closely. I also tried the warm compress a few times. It took a few weeks but its cleared up and she's doing great!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great news SunnysideupstateNY, thanks for letting us know!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by