need help with an injured chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenMamaSamm, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ChickenMamaSamm

ChickenMamaSamm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2013
    ne pa
    My flock was attacked today by a hawk. We got to the girls before anyone was killed but my head hen was hurt in the attack. She got a small cut below her eye and her eyelid is torn a little. All in all she seemed to get away with little damage, or blood loss, but she is very weak and will not eat or drink. She is keeping both eyes shut and will stand for a little while then lay down on her side. I am very worried for her. I did flush her wounds with saline solution and put antibiotic ointment on them. I managed to drip some water into her mouth but she wouldn't take much. Any help would be great. I am worried because she seems much worst off then I would expect her to be. Thanks

2. rmurrayslcut

rmurrayslcut Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    South Jordan, UT
    This is sad news. I have some experience with injured birds. The problem is that birds have extremely fragile bones, and it doesn't take much to break them. She could have massive internal injuries and be in agony, but nothing would show. Hawks hit their pray hard. If she continues to struggle, you may have to humanely euthanize her; she's likely in a great amount of pain.

Have you consulted a vet? Best of luck to you.

3. ChickenMamaSamm

Jul 13, 2013
    ne pa
    There is no vet for chickens here. I am worried about internal injuries too. But she can stand, flap her wings and walked a little. They were all under a large pile of brush, so the hawk had a hard time getting at them. I'm not sure if the hawk got her or it was the brush. My daughter carefully removed all the brush around her an scooped her up. I can tell at first she was in shock . But now I'm not sure what has got her so bad off. She only lost maybe 3 drops of blood all together. ill see how she is in the morning. I hope she is doing better. I gave her a little aspirin in her water. I don't know if she drank enough to help her though. Thank you for your reply :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    Hope that she is better soon

5. ChickenMamaSamm

Jul 13, 2013
    ne pa
    Thank you. She made it threw the night. She seems like she is just sleeping a lot. Hopefully that will help her heal. I just wish she would drink more. Can any one tell me how much water a hen needs to drink a day? So I can make sure she is getting enough. Thanks again :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by