Need help with antibiotic dose.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenniferlamar70, Jul 6, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    So I have a small silkie chick that I have hatched. She was born weak and we didn't think she would make it. It's been a week and she is much improving but I think she has an infection. I have antibiotics but it only has directions to make a gallon. I can't use all that for just one baby chick. Can someone help me figure out the dose for 2 cups.
    The antibiotics are oxytetracycline. Thanks.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Tell us a little bit more about what is going on with your chick, what kind of infection does she have?
    How is she acting?
    Photos/video?

Divide your dosage by 4 this will give the amount for a quart, then divide by 2 this will give you the dosage for 2cups.

3. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I'm not sure what kind. I recognize the syptoms though as we has this problem awhile ago with our polish. Lethargic,runny eyes, just wants to sleep. She was the only egg to hatch out of her batch of eggs. The others died in the middle of incubation. I've had amazing hatch rates with all my other chicks so I'm thinking it was either being shipped or the breeders flock had issues. Last time the vet said this antibiotic was fine for our tractor supply chicks and that it may take longer but it would cover more.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Runny eyes and lethargy could be an indication of respiratory illness.
    Hopefully the meds will help.

5. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Yeah I really hope so as well. :( we really have fallen in love with this chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by