Need help with antibiotics/muscovy mask**More Pictures Added**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Feb 24, 2011.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I posted a couple days ago about my muscovy drakes mask looking infected I I think it is. He looked like he was getting better for a while but now it looks worse and is spreading. I need to treat him with something but I'm not sure what becuase I've never had to give medicine before. I'm looking for a general antibiotic that could be used for different things as well. If someone could help me out and tell me what to use, where to get it online and how to give it to the duck I would greatly apreciate it. Links would be a great help.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Baytril is a great oral antibiotic and I use it for different issues. Have you tried a topical such as simple neosporin (without any pain medication in it)? I will find you the link where you can get Baytril if you would like to have a bottle of this on hand. It is expensive but a very good broad spectrum antibiotic.

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Have you ever used the Baytril on your mandarins/teal? what dosage did you use? I think i might have something going around here. I lost one of my mandarin drakes awhile back and now my current one is showing the same symptoms and i want to give him something but haven't gone to the vet yet (hopefully friday) to get any.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    K4zn4v3,

Have you posted pictures yet? My first thought is use the triple antibiotic. I use that for bumblefoot infections. It quickly stops its advance, and then very slowly seems to hold the bacteria at bay while the duck's immune system gets rid of the bumble. That is my guess, it's how it appears to work for us. So a caruncle infection would probably respond well.

Don't rule out a possible fungal infection - those are more common in the south, but they can happen anywhere. An antifungal such as pau d'arco (an herb) might be something to consider.

5. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
  6. K4zn4v3

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:Here is the picture I posted from the first time. I dont want you guys to think that I was squeezing his beak fighting to hold him, I just had to hold his beak for a couple of second becuase he wont stop bobbing his head when I'm around. I will take another one when I go out and put some neosporin on his mask. It looks a lot worse now, it is starting to turn yellowish/brown. He doesnt seem to be in pain and he doesnt mind me touching it.
    [​IMG]

7. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Those just look like wounds to me. Maybe someone else can see something else. It could be fungal. What are his habits? Could this be something he is doing to himself?

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The purple area is the worrisome part, it looks like broken down tissue in there. My boys will get scabs sometimes, from arguing with eachother or bumbing their faces but the purple on the knob of his caruncles does look weird. I would put Neosporin(w/out pain) on it and if it doesnt look at least a little better by tomorrow you can pick up a bag of Durramycin at the feed store and seperate him and give it to him in his water.

there could be an infection behind that scab or maybe one of his feather "pores" got infected. I have noticed on one of my older boys(that doesn't bathe as much), i have to keep an eye on the little specks on his caruncles, every once in a while one will get a small infection in it and i will have to clean it up. Maybe your boy had one and the infection went inward?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  9. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=534

This is where I got baytril. I gave 1/2 tablet once a day for 6 days when the vet thought that my female mandarin might have an upper resp. infection. I already had the baytril and the vet ok'd it for the mandarin.

How did you administer it? Did you just put it in there drinking water? how much water to pill? and did the other birds drink it? it says not for breeding season and i have a mandarin hen that is currently setting on eggs, but i think she's done laying and just incubating now so i wonder if it will be ok....?

10. K4zn4v3

Oct 16, 2010
    Here is the picture I just took. Its not the clearest I was taking it in the dark.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by