Need help with baby deer, strange lumps on behind, ackward situation.

Chickengal505

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Bolivia N.C
Okay so back in July my dad found a baby deer ( no she was not laying down, it was after dark, and there was a female deer who was still full of milk dead about two meters from her, she was crying and bleating for her mother) and we hand raised her. Today she is almost a year old and comes up to an adult's knee. Today she was running with her tail up and I saw red near her "butt hole" so I went over to her and there where about ten ticks stuck right above her... anus? Call it what you like but point blank there where two lumps right where the ticks where so I went and got some tweesers and removed them, the lumps are purple/red and hardish. I went inside and put some antiseptic wash on a cotten pad and some red cote. I got back outside and the "lumps" had weeped a little. i cleaned her up and sprayed some of the red cote on her and came to ask you guys. Is this "normal" or not?

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
White tailed deer about seven months old. About 70 pounds.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Nothing out of the norm.
The lumps seem to be painful.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Today thats it they popped up overnight
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Well I have no other deer and the dogs seem fine.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Yes "lumps" have been bleeding but after I put the red cote on I cant tell if their bleeding or not.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Running in a tick infested forest?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Goat chow, outdoor plants ,clay. tap and creek water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Perfict round smelly deer pellets.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Removed ticks, cleaned with antiseptic wash, sprayed red cote.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? If we REALLY need to we can take her to the vet but I want to treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Well this is a family website so I cant post a picture of her bum.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Forest, garage.

No I havn't talked to a vet yet because, most of the vets here don't know squat about anything but cats and dogs (they have a cat door and a dog door and they dont treat anything else) If she needs to see a vet we will have to borrow a horse trailer and travel.

Thanks if you would ask your brother that would be great. I had already posted the hunters thing before I saw your post
smile.png
sorry.

Yes, you can post pictures of her bum on this website
smile.png
Im sure it's normal, but Not sure about the bleeding lumps.

I hope you get some help. Please post pictures soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom