1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with bantam

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mlongworth, Jan 16, 2013.

1. mlongworth

mlongworth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    indiana
    My guy doesnt like chickens but his boss has a bantie that he really likes, so naturally I really want to get him one.Problem is I have no idea what breed it is I havent even seen it. I have had him look through my murray, meyer and burkey catalog no luck. He says it is almost all blue like peacock blue. If anyone has suggestions or maybe a website with pics that might help i would really appreciate it. Thanks. Also we are in town so only a few chicks can i keep a bantie in with my big girls?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ask him to take a photo of it (most cell phones have cameras) so he can show you. Then you can download and post the photo and we'll help. Realize that breed and variety are not the same, which I think may be confusing you. Bantie is simply a nickname for bantam. However, most folks who refer to them as "banties" either have mixed breed chickens or OEGB (not show birds, or they would almost certainly use correct terminology).

Variety is the colour/colour pattern of the bird, and almost never has anything to do with the breed, I will say that chickens cannot be peacock blue unless they are dyed. They do not have the pigments for true blues and greens. So, is it possible that the bird is not a chicken?

Whether or not a bantam will get along with largefowl depends on the individual temperaments for the most part, and slightly on the breeds involved. Laid-back largefowl will probably be okay with a much smaller bird. Flighty or bird-aggressive ones will likely not. A too-submissive bantam wouldn't likely fare well with them, either.

3. mlongworth

Dec 11, 2012
    indiana
    I wondered if it was something else myself because of the blue he described, I was pretty sure blue in chickens looked grayish or slate, kinda like my pit bulls, I will try to remember to send the camera with him tomorrow. I am not sure it is a bantam just going on what they told me and he said it looked just like a tiny chicken. But they have a small very mixed flock so I am pretty much clueless to figure it out right now. Thanks for trying to help though.

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Looking forward to the picture of your potential new bantam. We have a bantam Blue cochin Rooster in our flock of larger breeds. He was a mix up but we're glad we have him now. He adds alot of character of our flock. They all get along well but they were all brooder mates which doesn't really help answer your question. I've read that they'll friend those that are similar in colorations. Oddities are sometimes picked on (sometimes differences in size unfortunately, color, newness) It's going to change the dynamic of your flock for sure so give it some time for them to sort out. Sometimes putting them all in a space that is new to everybody helps with the transition of adding a bird. I'm not sure if you have that luxury, though. Free ranging? Maybe that would help with transitioning your bird in. Hopefully he/she has a bit of spunk (like many Banties have) like Sonoran Silkies said--that may earn him or her some respect with the welcoming flock.

5. mlongworth

Dec 11, 2012
    indiana
    I will be getting new girls so they will start out together hopefully if I can figure out what I am looking for and find one. I am hoping to be be able to get columbian rocks to hatch. They will have a 10 or 12ft. By 12 ft pen Cant free range in town.

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Having some new girls join would be a better scenario vs. Just one. "Spreads out the beatings." A bit. :lol:

7. campcabo

campcabo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Ohio
    Keep in mind most of the time the Roosters have the better coloring...is this bantam a hen for sure he is describing. I have a bantam rooster that is a beautiful blue as well but none of my females are blue. I do keep my bantams (3 female and 4 male) with my egg layers (16 egg layers). For the most part the bantams are not going to let the larger hens mess with them...they can hold their own. However, my do get to free range at least a few days a week when I am home.

8. mlongworth

Dec 11, 2012
    indiana
    Im not sure that its a hen. Guess I just assumed he could tell the difference. Hopefully not cant have one here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by