Need help with blackhead questions...please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NYRIR, Feb 13, 2012.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I bought 2 black silkies from a woman who was kind enough to tell me she had a breakout of blackhead in her flocks. The chickens were treated and have been isolated for months from my other chickens because I am afraid to put them anywhere near my turkeys.
    My question is , Are they cleared of it completely? Or do they carry it forever? I can treat with Valbazen if needed for a second dose. They have literally been isolated for MONTHS( and have never been on the ground with my other birds) but had the initial treatment right after I bought them.( they were only a couple of weeks old when I bought them and the hen JUST started laying last week.)to give you an idea of how long it has been.
    Was one treatment enough to cure? Or should I never let them around my other birds?
    Thanks for any help...
    [​IMG]
    Oh, and is it safe to hatch eggs from her? Or should I just cull?? Anyone?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Anybody? I really don't want to cull if it's not necessary....[​IMG] but I don't want to risk my turks...does the initial treatment kill it off? Or are they infected for life?
    Thanks for any responses....

3. lovinchicks

lovinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    I read your post and wanted to share with you what I found on the internet when I was looking around about putting my turkeys in with my chickens. I don't know if this will give you a bit of comfort putting them out or not. We did decide to go ahead and put ours with the chickens, and we haven't had a problem yet. Anyways It's interesting. http://back40forums.com/index.php?topic=276.0

4. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Thanks for that but the woman had turkeys that were dying from blackhead...so I think she had the turkey type?? I think I will keep em seperate for now...but I want to hatch out some from her....I need to know if since they had it...will it be passed on to their offspring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by