Need help with Blue Wheaten Ameraucana breeding question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OkieKristi, Aug 14, 2011.

1. OkieKristi

OkieKristi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I have tried researching past threads to get an answer to my question, but haven't run across it yet. I have a beautiful blue wheaten Ameraucana roo, but haven't had any other pure Ameraucanas, so I have never done any hatching. I now have a couple of blue ameraucana pullets, but I am curious what color I will get from this combo. Everything I have seen, the normal combo is blue wheaten to blue wheaten, or blue wheaten to wheaten. Am I going to get mutts, or will I get some combo of blue, splash, etc.?[​IMG]

2. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:Since you have a blue wheaten Ameraucana you would want to breed to I believe a blue wheaten hen. I'm not sure if you can breed blue wheaten to wheaten. I know you wouldn't want to breed to a blue, splash, black etc. As according to the ABC those would be considered mutts or Easter Eggers. Hope this helps. Maybe some one a little more versed in the Ameraucana's might chime in here.

3. OkieKristi

OkieKristi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that was the answer. I may have to get a couple of blue wheaten pullets, but I will still probably breed some EEs from the blue pullets. I just love the color of my blue wheaten roo so much, I wish the girls were as colorful.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can breed wheaten to blue wheaten, yes. You do not want to mix the wheaten family with the regular blue/black/splash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by