Need help with Breed, Age and Sex ID on new chickens please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by slaird61, Sep 20, 2010.

1. slaird61

slaird61 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I live in Louisiana. Friday I acquired some new chicks who were dumped out by my house. I haven't had chickens in over 15 years so I'm a little rusty on my chicken knowledge. Can anyone tell me what breed, age and sex these guys are? I'm thinking they are either Plymouth Rocks or Dominiques but I don't know how to tell the difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -- Suzanne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    looks like barred rocks about 4-6 weeks old.....some roo's some pullets.

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I agree, Barred Rocks. Looks like they could be all roosters. Maybe someone got them extra in an order of chicks and that's why they dumped them.

4. shell25

shell25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Ive got a barred rock and they look very similar to it, mine his 9 weeks old and yours look alot younger id guess maybe 6-7wks, as for gender i havnt a clue im currently trying to work out if 1 of my pullets is actual a roo!!

Im new to all this so im only having a guess based on mine [​IMG]

Michelle

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    they are all awfully light Id say there were the roos from a straight order of chicks. and they look about 1 month old barred rocks to me. people suck for dumping animals. Hope someday they will be dumped.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:I agree with Juliechick, and they look to be about six weeks old.

BTW, [​IMG] from Missouri!

7. slaird61

Sep 20, 2010
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I thought the same thing about them possibly all being roos. It seems like people have a harder time finding new homes for roosters so that might explain why they dumped them. I'm really hoping some of them end up being pullets though. I hate it when people dump animals. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  8. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    All but one (maybe 2, & even those 2 look questionable) look like males to me.

If they have a single comb they are Barred Rocks, If they have rose combs they are Dominiques.

9. slaird61

Sep 20, 2010
    Oh no! What will I do with 30 roos? How can you tell the difference in roos and pullets? How can you tell the difference in a rose comb and a single comb? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to get back into the world of chickens and these chickens were "unplanned". [​IMG]

10. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I am new to chickens as well, but my way of trying to distinguish is that a roo will have a bigger comb. That one right up front in the picture may be a pullet...just me comparing to the guy in the back with larger red comb. Look up chicken combs and you will see pictures of all their different types of combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by