Need Help with Breed (BR vs Maran) and Sex! Possibly Age Too!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrsdee, Apr 25, 2017.

1. mrsdee

mrsdee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2017
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    Hi All,

First time poster here! I bought a group of chicks a couple weeks ago from a local feed store. I had intentions of buying 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Easter Eggers, 1 White Leghorn, and 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte. I ended up with all of the following except I was sold "Black" Marans instead of Easter Eggers. Since these were my first chicks, I didn't know the difference between the two chicks looks. Now I can't tell the difference between the barred rocks and the marans! I also have a suspicion that a few are cockerels.

I have read all the threads I can find on the differences between the two breeds. There are characteristics that I can see but I guess what I'm struggling with is leg color and plumage. It seems like 3 birds have pinkish legs but I've heard that in hatchery quality birds leg color may not be true or change with time.

Here are pics of the birds in question.

[​IMG]
    Suspected BR pullet ^^^

[​IMG]
    Suspected BR gender questionable ^^^

[​IMG]
    Same bird as above, better feather shot ^^^

[​IMG]
    Suspected Maran gender questionable ^^^

[​IMG]
    Same bird as above, better feather shot ^^^

[​IMG]
    Suspected Maran cockerel ^^^

[​IMG]
    Both suspected Marans together, suspected cockerel in front ^^^

All birds should be about 3 weeks but they were not day old chicks when I bought them so I don't know their age for sure. Anyone have any ideas based on how they look?

Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are too young to tell sex yet. Barred rocks will have yellow legs, and Maran will have pink legs. I haven't seen incorrect leg color ever on a barred rock.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by