1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with breed of this blue chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by agkuyk08, Feb 17, 2015.

1. agkuyk08

agkuyk08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    [​IMG]
    These two blue chicks were ordered by a friend from cackle hatchery. They ordered 50 assorted heavies. This is the only breed I'm stumped on. I thought it to be a lavender Orpington, but they have dark beaks and legs, and these chicks do not. I've went through cackles list of breeds and couldn't find anything these might be. I don't think they sell blue leghorns so I can rule that out as well. Any help?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Do they have feathered legs?

3. agkuyk08

Apr 8, 2013
    I don't think so

4. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I was just looking over their website. Could they be Blue Old English Game?

5. agkuyk08

Apr 8, 2013
    Only problem with that is the fact that OEG are bantams, correct? And these were assorted heavies.

6. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Yeah they are bantams. I missed the part about the assorted heavies. Sorry...lol I don't see what they could be either. Maybe someone more familiar will come along to help.

7. agkuyk08

Apr 8, 2013
    She said some have feathered feet and some don't. My guess then would be Marans as the French line has feathered feet while the American line doesn't. But I didn't see Blue Marans listed on Cackle

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Cackle only carries black, black copper and cuckoo Marans. Even if some of these mixed together, they wouldn't produce anything blue (unless they have blue birds in their breeding pens and don't even know it?). The ones with feathered legs could be blue or splash standard Cochins, they'd qualify as a heavy breed (they're BIG birds). But, I don't have a clue as to what the ones with non-feathered shanks could be. I don't think they carry blue Orpingtons, I didn't see any, anyway. I know they have blue Sumatras, but I don't think they would be a heavy breed?

9. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    I think they are white rocks. Cackle has a photo of their day old white rocks online. They look like these. :)

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd agree they could be white Rocks. They're not really blue, here are my blue chicklets, quite a bit darker....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by