need help with breed

nmeyer3

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2016
I bought this little guy from a Buchheit's where the workers knew absolutely nothing about chickens or anything, really. And they had like 50 little chicks in cages that were way too small for how many there were in each cage, and they were all freezing. And they let little kids grab them and stuff with no supervision so of course, dropping them.
Anyway, he was in a cage of assorted chicks labelled "pan fry".
Anyone have a guess on his breed?

" Pan Fry" isn't Cornish cross, it's excess males. Often Leghorn or other production types, to be butchered at a young age and be tender enough to, well, pan fry
smile.png

I can't tell if it's got white/pink legs or not. If so, probably an buff Orpington.

" Pan Fry" isn't Cornish cross, it's excess males. Often Leghorn or other production types, to be butchered at a young age and be tender enough to, well, pan fry :)

I can't tell if it's got white/pink legs or not. If so, probably an buff Orpington. 

His legs are a light pink/ orange. And his fluff is a pretty dark orange on his back.
And yeah, that's what I read. They tried to tell me that "pan fry" was the breed name of the chicken but I knew that couldn't be right. They also didn't know what temperature they are suppose to be kept at, which explains why they were letting the chicks huddle together in a big circle and shaking because they were so cold.

It is way too young to tell, but if it was in the "pan fry" section I would guess it would be a cornish.

Thank you.

" Pan Fry" isn't Cornish cross, it's excess males. Often Leghorn or other production types, to be butchered at a young age and be tender enough to, well, pan fry
smile.png

It would be way too young for telling whether it was a male of female, and the people don't sound like they have enough experience to vent sex them.

The store reselling them doesn't vent sex them, but the hatchery they buy them from does. Cruise most any of the large hatcheries for Pan Fry special, it's all excess males for cheap. They're not going to sell money making pullets in a pan fry selection on purpose.

It would be way too young for telling whether it was a male of female, and the people don't sound like they have enough experience to vent sex them.
The store doesn't sex them, the hatchery does. If it was in the "pan fry" bin then it is a cockerel. I'm with donrae, I'm thinking buff Orpington.

He seems to have pasty butt, I've made sure to clean the poop off with a wet paper towel since I got him. Is there anything else I should do?
And is there anything else I should look out for from him being stuck in a cold cage with a bunch of other chicks while he was at the store?

Back
Top Bottom