Need help with breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by agernaat89, Jun 14, 2016.

1. agernaat89

agernaat89 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Detroit, Texas
    I was searching for araucanas to replace the ones i lost recently due to tornadoes and stray dogs. Unfortunately there was not any place that had any. I decided to just go to atwoods and get a different breed for now. They only had a group of mixed chicks left. The guy working didnt know anything at all. After google, i THINK that the 4 are australorps and the 2 are RIR. Still not sure what Daisy (the white one) is and just need verification on the rest. Please and thank you
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. agernaat89

agernaat89 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Detroit, Texas
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  3. BackyardMarana

BackyardMarana Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Any pics?

4. heritagehatch

heritagehatch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2014
    I concur with the other poster, we cannot make any suggestions on breed types without photos[​IMG]

5. agernaat89

agernaat89 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Detroit, Texas
    [​IMG]
    Finally got a picture to upload after trying several devices

6. heritagehatch

heritagehatch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2014
    The obvious choice is White leghorn. It is reasonable to presume RIR ( Commercial strain) and Australops on the others. All in all a good hardy laying mix until your predation issues are resolved. Best of luck with them. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. agernaat89

agernaat89 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Detroit, Texas
    Thank you so much. As I had said before. We went home not knowing any of the breeds. Im glad I got the RIR and australorps right. Two more questions. I heard that chickens pick on silkies because they look different. Would I be able to eventually mix in silkies? And I also heard RIR get very "pecky". I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. Should I consider a different breed for their sake? TIA

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  8. Table4Six

Table4Six Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    I agree with that the black ones look like Black Australorps except for the one in the corner, it looks to me like a barred rock.

9. agernaat89

agernaat89 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Detroit, Texas

They look like baby fluffy penguins to me. Two of the black and white ones have black beaks and bigger nostrils. Would that mean a different breed or even different sex?

10. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    My RIR (really Production Reds as RIR are a heritage breed we wont be finding at any feed store) are both only pecky and bossy with other chickens. They are fine with all people. They are not as cuddly or social as my Brahama or Orps but are easy enough to catch and carry and they eat nicely out of hands and take treats carefully (as opposed to my Brahma that will drill a hole through your hand or take a finger off to get a treat) Pics provided are to show chick, juvenille and adult to give you an idea if they are the same breed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by