need help with breed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TinaSwarr, Mar 18, 2012.

1. TinaSwarr

TinaSwarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    I know they are out of the bantam bin, I think they are some kind of silkie but not sure. I know nothing about the breed.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BantamBud

BantamBud Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Lockport,NY
    Did you get them from TSC?Today i got some bantams and look almost like twins.Last year they turned out to be silkies[​IMG][​IMG]

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Those are Silkies, noticed the black legs and five toes? Those are unique about Sillkies, they also have black bones.

The Silkie is one of those breeds that gets broody (wants to sit on a nest) often. They aren't the best fliers because of all that fluff they have when they grow up. Here's a picture of the gray variety of a Silkie. You can't see the feet but they are black. Your chicks look like they could be Gray Silkies.
    [​IMG]

This is a black Silkie:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of a white Silkie: They'll tend to have blue-ish legs, also.
    [​IMG]

4. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Hope that helped! [​IMG]

5. TinaSwarr

Mar 10, 2011
    yes , they came from tsc....It is the black skin and 5 toes that makes me think silkies.

6. TinaSwarr

Mar 10, 2011
    thanks for the positive on silkies......can they eventually go to the coop with my mixed flock or should they have their own area , with being smaller, a little concerned about them getting hurt.....

7. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    How old are they? When they are around 6 months they can go out and eat big chicken food, but if they ate big chicken food it could damage their insides and kill them since they are so small. And if they are around one week lower their temperature each week by 5 degrees F, it should start off at 95 degrees F.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  8. TinaSwarr

Mar 10, 2011
    tsc only got them in on thursday, so I figure they are only a couple of days.......Just trying to plan for the future.....sounds like a good enough reason to start building a brand new coop...[​IMG]

9. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Yes!!! Responsible chicken owner!! [​IMG] I'm always glad to hear that line "Building a brand new coop"!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by