1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chy1820, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Chy1820

Chy1820 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    I got them as Ameraucana pullets months ago. I'm not familiar with the breed. So I was hoping someone could tell me if they are or not. Also if they are, if anyone could possibly tell me what colors they might be. Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

I don't think they are Ameraucana, not sure what they are.

Someone with more experience should be able to help.

3. [​IMG] Glad to have you join our flock!

They look like Easter Eggers, which is a mixed breed that is bred to produce blue, green, or other colored eggs. The hen in the first photo, on the right, looks like a possible Easter Egger mix.

- BantamLover55

4. Chy1820

Nov 14, 2014
    After looking at several pictures of the Ameraucana I didn't think that's what they were. I thought about keeping them and waiting to see the egg color.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They could be Easter Eggers, or just random mixes.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

7. Chy1820

Nov 14, 2014
    They were bought from tractor supply as Ameraucanas. They said they got their chicks from Mcmurray hatchery if I remember correctly. And I thought I read that their Ameraucanas were not purebred but not sure?

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    "Ameraucanas" from McMurray hatchery are not purebred. I have one of them--a friendly, pretty Easter Egger.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Definitely Easter Eggers. I've ordered the "Ameraucanas" from Murray McMurray on several occasions, and they are EE hybrids as opposed to true Ameraucanas. The only major hatchery that sells true Ameraucanas is Meyer Hatchery. Meyer sells Blue Ameraucanas and they are much more expensive than their Easter Eggers. EEs are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite hens. She loves their colored eggs.

10. Chy1820

Nov 14, 2014
    Okay thanks so much for the replies everyone. We bought 6 but sold the other 4 a few months back. We only kept these 2 because my boyfriend liked their coloring. But now we thought about selling them and get a breed we actually want. I wanted to make sure of their breed just in case we do decide to sell them. I figured they weren't Ameraucanas because of their faces not being puffy. Thanks everybody again for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by