Need Help with breeding Bantam Spangled trio?? please help?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greenhead, Dec 2, 2009.

1. greenhead

greenhead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    I have never bred chickens before and need a little help. My daughter has 5 bantams in their own coop. She has 4 hens (2 spangled hens, 1b.b.red, 1 wheaton, and then Ross the Rooster. We have had them for a year now and the hens have stopped laying eggs for the last 6 months? She got an incubator about a month ago and we would love to hatch some little ones. Should I seperate the rooster from the girls? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Okay first where are you from? Second it may be winter the hens have stopped laying. Is your coop big enough to accomadate new chicks? And it might be a little cold if it is winter for hatching why not wait for spring?

3. greenhead

greenhead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    thanks for your response. we live in northern california, very mild climate. they have not layed an egg in 5 months? we have 12 standards in a different coop and they are still laying. the coop that the bantams are in is 5'x10' with a very nice coop.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Try giving them light how old are the hens?

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Okay so you have got space. I think you should post a topic in the Egglaying and Chicken Behaviours section about you bantams.

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    they made need more light and ventalation, is their coop ventalated

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes give them 16hr total of light ,they will be laying few weeks later. Its not the temp, but the longer spring daylight that start the breeding season for birds.

If you want to hatch the eggs, leave the rooster with the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by