Need help with broody hen

WeNeedDrPhil

Chirping
Aug 14, 2016
We have a broody hen that has been sitting on a dozen eggs for a few weeks and she only managed to get 2 chicks to hatch. We currently have 10 eggs under her. Are there too many? Should I remove a few? How docI check if they are fertile? :(

Did you set all the eggs at the same time? How many days has it been since the last chick hatched? You can candle the eggs - search for "egg candling" and I'm sure there will be some guides, with pics that should help you.

CT

Yes we put the eggs at the same time and it has been somewhere around a week or week and a half since they hatched.They seem quite happy.Will try the candling and report back.

Yes we put the eggs at the same time and it has been somewhere around a week or week and a half since they hatched.They seem quite happy.Will try the candling and report back.

After such a long time since the first two hatched, the remaining eggs are no longer viable. Its best to bin them and let momma concentrate on looking after the chicks.

Well I didn't candle the eggs but atleast I know they are fertile because she stepped on a few breaking them...they all had chicken embryos.Kinda dosturbing watching them struggle.The embryo was almost fully developed so it can't be long before they hatch.She wants to sit on the eggs and look after the chicks. I really don't know what to do

Back
Top Bottom