Need help with button quail chick

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rashid100, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Hey guys. I noticed that one of my button quail chicks seems to keep his eyes half open at all times. One is slightly more open than the other he eats and drinks and is active just like the others. But Iam confused why he keeps his eyes that way. What do u guys think is wrong. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks everyone
    [​IMG]

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's hard to say without watching him for a while. Hit their water with a vitamin supplement like vitasol or SavAchick and see if the little guy perks up.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    is he just sleepy or do you think there is something wrong with the eye? Try watching to see if he is eating enough, and is your crumble smashed for the chicks? Also try electrolytes in the water but if it is just a droopy eye I would just watch him. I have a male that is almost 5 years old now that is limited in his vision but he is happy and mates well. No he is NOT genetically blind it was an injury so he is okay to breed. just saying! lol.

4. Rashid100

Jul 13, 2014
    Thanks guys. I've monitored him for a while now. One eye seems fine. it's open and bright. The other one barely opens half way. Maybe it's an infection, I'll try adding vitamins. Should I put some eye drops?

5. Rashid100

Jul 13, 2014
    I took pics of both his eyes to show the difference
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Terramycin (oxytetracycline) or vetracyn are what is most commonly used to treat eye infections. You can usually purchase it at feed stores that cater to larger livestock or poultry, some drug stores carry it also.

Personally I highly doubt this is an eye infection, although it isn't a bad idea to have terramycin on hand because eventually you'll probably have to deal with one. Also I've not found any research or advice that suggests it is safe to use such a strong antibiotic on a chick so it's probably best just to let this one ride unless the chick begins to show anymore symptoms.

Eye infections will almost always be accompanied by swelling around or of the lids and drainage that quickly builds a crust. That crust can easily cover the whole eye and often will damage their vision in the affected eye if not treated quickly enough can even kill them. So Terramycin or vetracyn are good to keep around or at least know where you can find them on the shelf should you need them. Don't be surprised that it runs about $30 for a small tube.

7. Rashid100

Jul 13, 2014
    Thankfully he's ok now :D both eyes are nice and bright. All it needed was a couple of days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by