Need help with cause of death / prolapse

chickenmom22

Songster
Mar 12, 2018
sorry for posting early before I finished writing!! Dumb moment.

1.) I found my Americana hen dead this morning and I’m trying to find out cause of death. She was a 3 year old hen who had stopped laying, I think because we are having a extreme heat wave. Yesterday her behavior wasn’t out of the normal at all, she was definitely hot like all the chickens were (it was over 100 F) but we had a mist-er going, they all had a lot of shade and places to cool off and a lot of water. I am not sure her weight.
The obvious thing I can think of is that she died from overheating, but inside the coop was cool when I put them to bed (and I made sure to put them to bed late, after the temperatures went down). The coop was cool when I opened it this morning too and found her dead.

No other birds are affected and seem fine/normal. I am really scared it could be contagious to the other chickens which is why I’m posting this.
I couldn’t find any bleeding, but her vent looked weird and seemed to be sort of protruding (??) but I wasn’t sure if this was normal after death… I have no idea. I am not experienced in this area and these are my first chickens.

I attached a really graphic photo below of her vent below. Does this look like it was a prolapse?

5C456FC6-1DED-426C-90F2-95AE17C50E35.jpeg

Last edited:
She may have suffered a prolapsed vent, and she possibly could have been pecked by the others. They tend to peck at anything red. Sorry for your loss. If you want to know exactly what killed her, the state vet could do a necropsy if the body is kept cold, nit frozen, and sent to your state lab.

Back
Top Bottom