Need help with chicjen fencing

Hotrod624

Hatching
Jun 23, 2016
Like the title says, my poultry (geese,ducks,chickens) keep getting out. We moved into a new house and the place had some barb wire fencing already installed, about an acre and a half, I overlapped the barb wire with chicken fence. The fence goes about 4ft high, I need to do something, I really don't want to have to build a chicken run for them. My wife had to go pick up 2 ducks and a chicken from the neighbors that there dogs got. Would a 3 wire electric fence keep them in, one wire 6 inches off the ground, one about knee high then one at the top?

Having just lost two brahma babies to coyotes (and hens and dogs) I will say to error on the side of caution. I'm not sure where you live or what other predators you have in the area, but I can tell you they come from under, over and in between. We are almost hostages on our homestead from coyotes and I have seen what they are capable of doing. Please don't assume you are safe. Go the extra mile- whatever that means.

I think the easiest thing to do would be electric poultry netting. It's not the cheapest, but it works. I use the Premier1 PoultryNET Plus with a solar powered energizer. I only have 100' and I use it to create temporary "free range" spaces for my 5 bird flock. We have a high predator load (Bobcats, Bear, Fox, Mountain Lion, Coyote) and I'm just not comfortable not having them outside of their run without electric fencing.

Although I haven't seen it happen yet, I've been told that while a coyote or fox could jump the 4' tall fence, they will come up to the fence and touch it with their nose. They get a shock and scamper off, never to be seen again.

Last edited:
And, you don't have to use the expensive solar charger if you have access to electricity. But, you do have to have a HOT charger. Since we have cattle I use the 'fifty mile' type.
The poultry netting lasts over ten years if you care for it and don't mow into. Premier one is great :barnieand has real hands on know how to help you. They are a real working farm and use and develop what they sell.

The nice thing about solar charger is it works twenty four seven even if something knocks power out. And, it is portable so you can use a moveable coop to move to fresh pasture.

Do the math on what you put into birds and what getting wiped out by predators? Not to mention emotiona l trauma losses cause. Works out pretty cheap actually.
Btw these fences are folded and unfolded. If you ever roll them up, you won't make that mistake again.

Back
Top Bottom