Need help with chick trying to hatch. Update/ pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantymama, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I had a egg pip about 18 hours ago. It has been slow going. Instead of zipping around he started zipping his way to the right and then back to the first inital pip then he started to zip to the left and went back to where the inital pip was. It is a small egg. Im just wondering if maybe he is to big to turn and go all the way around. Any advice.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Have you opened the bator? How is humidity?

I'm not saying this is correct but what I would do is crack the shell enough
    so it won't run out of air. 18 hours seems like a long time. From there
    you can do an assisted hatch if needed.

3. Bantymama

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Humidity is at 68 or so. The shell is cracked open a little and i can see his little beak. The shell does not seem to brake off just crack. i will give him a few more minutes. thanks. glad im not the only one up this late.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

18 hrs isn't too bad. I've had chicks pip early on day 20 and be the last out on the 22nd. Had one pip upside down on the tiny part of the egg too. I say let it keep going for another 6 hours minimum. Try not to open the bator till day 22 unless you see that the chick is loosing vitality. If all else fails:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9316

5. Bantymama

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Well he popped out on his own. There seems to be alot of blood in the shell and on the paper towel. He did absorb the yolk sac. He is loud and active. We'll see what happens over night. Oh and he looks like he has a mohawk.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    [​IMG]

7. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Congrats to you. Glad the little guy made it out.

8. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    How's the little guy doing this morning?

9. Bantymama

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    He is doing fine. The other one just popped out and also had a lot of blood it looked like it was coming from his behind to. Weird i have never seen this before. I will have to see what happens with him. He is resting now. They were both in the hatcher for 6 days. Could the high humidity have something to do with it.

10. Bantymama

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    They are doing fine. They both have a pom pom for a tail reminds me of a bunnies tail.

He naps any where.
    [​IMG]

Little ham[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried to get them both to look but there are things to see and do besides get your pic taken
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by