Need help with chickens losing sight in one or both eyes and then dying.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tsmoot73, Mar 22, 2015.

1. tsmoot73

tsmoot73 New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    I purchased eight chickens that were about 8-9 wks old. They were kept in a storage shed that is ventilated with windows. We kept them on a hay floor with heat lamp. We lost three inside that I thought just were too small and got too cold so we added heaters as well. When it warmed up we put the rest outside. We have lost all but one now. The ones outside look like they lose sight in at least one eye if not both. The eyes may have a little puss but basically the eyelid is swollen shut. They stop eating and drinking and won't move from one spot. I chalked it up to the fact that we bought them at an auction and probably were not cared for properly. Now one of my hens in a different chicken coop is looking the same way. Does anyone know what this is or what I can do. I have isolated the hen but she is not looking good. Please Help!!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Greetings and [​IMG]

That sounds like maybe 'one-sided disease', or infectious coryza. Or some other respiratory disease that causes infection of the sinuses. Not good. You will probably need to use antibiotics to clear it.

I use garlic and breed for resistance, and have never had problems when bringing home birds with respiratory disease and adding them to the flock, but if your chooks are showing susceptibility like that (and they are) then you may want to use some store-bought artificial antibiotics.

It's important to use the right antibiotics for it but I've never used artificial ones so can't advise you there, sorry. These diseases are not susceptible to many common antibiotics so using just anything only makes it stronger and then using the right antibiotic later can be too late.

Here's some general info on diseases it may be... If you check out the symptoms described and think you have gotten an ID on the correct disease, treatment can begin. You may want to get a vet though, if you can afford it. The second link has a diagnostic guide to help point to a likely culprit.
    Quote: Quote: Best wishes.

3. tsmoot73

tsmoot73 New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Thank you for your help! Do you put fresh garlic in there water?

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Some people do but when I've tried it, the water fizzes up really quickly (ferments) which is probably good for them, but I just preferred to put it in their food instead so it's all consumed in a timely fashion. The food is replaced more often than the water, here.

Some people get good results putting it in the water though, you can try it, it's definitely one way to dose chooks that don't take to diet changes too enthusiastically.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by