Need help with chicks with potential Coccidia

rascal66

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 10, 2015
Washington
I have about 30 chicks in my barn and just yesterday I noticed poop that seemed a little bloody. Sure enough i confirmed it to be bloody poop today. (Im used to seeing intestinal shedded poop).

I have Corid and will start, but can someone help me confirm dosage? And would it help at all to feed medicated chick starter even though they might already have coccidia?

*I should note* I'm not sure exactly which chick has these symptoms. Am I okay to treat all the chicks?

Thanks,

(Sorry was unable to get pics.)

No, it does not store. Bacteria will grow in it. You can mix a quart at a time if that's all the chicks will require in a day. I think it breaks down to a quarter teaspoon per quart of water. Please check my math, though.

No, @azygous, it would work out to one-half teaspoon per quart.

I would drop a tablet into the drinking water you mixed with the Corid. Do this each day with a fresh batch of water and Corid. If the chicks are showing solid improvement, you can skip the sulfa when doing the second round of Corid.

Others more experienced in medications for poultry such as @casportpony may have a different recommendation for the sulfa-forte and dosage for chicks. I welcome being corrected if I'm off track here.

Treating with Sulfa and Corid is what I do sometimes, but I have the liquid, which is easy
to give, the tablets will be harder to use.
If all you have (or can get is tablets) you can crush it (rolling pin or soup can works for this), then mix it up with mashed egg yolk that's moistened with chick booster. Work it into a wasabe paste type of texture. You can then cut it into portions and hand feed each chick in turn with their medicine. If you have lots of chicks, it can be helpful to have a tall plastic tote to temporarily put all of the chicks in, then after they've had their share of the medicine, put them back into their normal brooder (familiar territory for them).

Yes, treat all chicks. Medicated feed is useless in treating coccidiosis. Liquid Corid is mixed 2 teaspoons into one gallon of fresh water. Mix a new batch each day for five days. Wait a week and do another five day round.
Great, I'm on the right track. Thank you.

Also, when you say mix a new batch, meaning a new batch of a gallon plus the 2 teaspoons? I can't store it? (Although I'll probably go through it by tomorrow anyways)

Coccidiosis isn't cut and dried. If you catch it early before the coccidia burrow into the intestinal lining, you might expect immediate improvement.

Once you notice blood in the stools, that indicates that the coccidia are starting to erode the intestinal lining, and that could open up the opportunity for aggressive bacteria to colonize the intestines. That can sometimes lead to irreversible damage called necrotic enteritis. A chicken can recover with the help of an antibiotic, but often the damage leads to death.

For this reason, I strongly recommend using a sulfa drug along with the Corid if you've seen any blood in the stools, and especially if the chicken appears lethargic. You can get sulfa here. https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/fish-sulfa-forte?sku=22156-174

A few questions...
How many days have the chicks been on the Corid?
Have you given the chicks a direct, undiluted oral dose?
Do you have a scale to weigh them on?

Treating with Sulfa and Corid is what I do sometimes, but I have the liquid, which is easy

A few questions...
How many days have the chicks been on the Corid?
Have you given the chicks a direct, undiluted oral dose?
Do you have a scale to weigh them on?

So today is day 3 of the Corid treatment. No deaths yet. I'll have to check in to see if I still see some more bloody poops. I have not given anything undiluted or direct because originally I'm unsure who is actually pooping the bloody poops. (Since I have about 30 of them in various young ages. I suspect a couple of my youngest since they are not growing as well as their siblings.)

Back
Top Bottom