Need help with Chinese painted button quails.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by stephandjay2487, Feb 2, 2015.

1. stephandjay2487

stephandjay2487 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    Hi my name is Stephanie i live in buffalo ny. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot but I seriously need help with my button quails..
    1st I have 3 blue and red Chinese painted button quails well the males are blue and red the female is brown with red. They are 3 months old and have started mating about 3 weeks ago.
    The 1st problem is my females legs are messed up. She wasnt born like it I think her legs got messed up when she flew out of my hands and hit the floor feet first during a cage cleaning in November. It's like splayed legs but she crosses them when she walks. Sometimes they go outward but not often. I don't kno if I should splint them or if its too late.
    2nd problem my big male started mating with her a while ago but no eggs at all yet. I don't kno if she will lay or not because her legs are injured.
    3rd problem is the males keep trying to hump each other lol. I have no clue if its normal.

2. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Separate the injured and monitor them. If the males continue to try to mate with the injured female they could make he heal incorrectly causing permanent damage. As for the males, they will probably start fighting and either kill each other or one will die the other will be beat up... That's why we guys don't live well with others when there is only a female... :)

3. stephandjay2487

Jan 22, 2015
    Thank you. Yea I was thinking about seperating her but didn't want the males flipping out on each other and killing each other. They don't fight too much when she's in there but for some reason the males do try to hump each other lol. I don't know if their really fighting or what.
    So do you think I should splint her legs or is it too late?.
    When I got them they literally just hatched and the lady told me there were 2 females and 1 male but obviously she either didnt know or she lied so I wouldn't just take 2 and leave the other by him self. She told me when I bought them that she was just giving me the other because they don't do well by themselves. She has been a breeder for a long time so I'm thinking that she lied so I'd take all of them even tho she could've told me truth and I still would've taken all of them and atleast I would've known what to expect and to look for another female.

Here are some pics of my babies :)
    The 1st one is just her and second one is all 3 she's in their nest [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    well the trouble is you have three males! see the reddish feathers under the tail? this is classic male coloring. also they all have bibs and that is another male trait. You need to get 3 females and place them into separate cages or at minimum a 5 foot cage for 3 pair with tons of hiding spots. and then they might still fight. and it can be to the death. the females are as bad as the males. very territorial. place the injured bird into a separate cage at once and he might recover . good luck

5. stephandjay2487

Jan 22, 2015
    Thank u for the advice..
    i've switched her to another cage already and she seems very happy but my Biger male keeps calling to her squaking and making a low sound that sounds like a dial up connection on a computer lol..
    Well she definitely is a female she doesn't make any call noises like the others and I seen the ladies females and they had the same coloration as my female and the white bib but the bib was splotchy and thin like mine it's because of mutation there's many different mutations now. I asked and sent her pix as well..
    . Ill get a better picture of her compared to them and ull see what I mean. Thank u again

6. stephandjay2487

Jan 22, 2015
    She's the only one in the 1st pic and she's in there nest in the second pic she's not the one on top of it or in the food. Her coloration is wayyy different then theirs and they have blue and red on them she doesn't

7. stephandjay2487

Jan 22, 2015
    I ment they have blue and red on their chest and she doesn't sorry bout that

8. TheWeeBee

TheWeeBee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Nope, you definitely have three boys. They may need to be separated at some point, but you can always keep their cages next to each other so they can see and hear the others. And you'll need to find them girlfriends at some point--button quail are monogamous and mate for life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by