Need help with classes/ schedule for this next semester...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jul 18, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I need help setting up my schedule for next semester. I have been thinking about this for the last two weeks and haven't come up with an answer yet. I have 5 classes I need to take.

I have boiled it down to 3 options, I will list them here along with the negatives for each one.

Option 1- Take all four classes on Tuesday and Thursday, omitting one class I really wanted to take.
    -This doesn't work because I would be gone from 6:30 am to 10:00 pm, and bf can't take care of all the animals and work.

Option 2- Take all five classes split into Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday.
    -This doesn't work because I can't afford the gas to drive down there four days a week, and my financial aid hasn't been approved yet.
    -Positive to this one is that it would only be for a few hours each day.

Option 3- Take only 3 classes, omitting two I really need but only attend school on Tuesday and Thursday.
    -This might work, but I want to get my degree before we move and bf wants to move soon, so I would be dragging all my classes out even longer.

PLEASE HELP!!! My Registration date is Tuesday morning!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  2. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    Option 2 - I'm going to assume there is such as thing as public transit in San Diego.

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Online or night classes?

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

In Spring DH found out he had 5 classes left to take before graduating in Dec... he's been there 3 semesters and has had FIVE 'advisers' suffice it to say thanks to one of them botching things he has to take another course... ANYWHO, that's why he just finished a 5wk summer course on Monday and started the second on Tuesday... so in Fall he'll only take 3.... considering he also works full time there was just no way he'd be able to do five at once... but if you aren't working then you maybe could handle it.

Really a shame you couldn't swing a summer course or two.

You have to measure the costs... which is better... gas two extra times a week and do Option 2 and be DONE in one semester... OR drive less, but be stuck where you are unable to move for a whole extra semester? Depends on your situation so I hesitate to advise, but I would go for Option 2 IF you can handle the courseload... if 5 is just going to kill you (it is a LOT) then go with Option 3.

Option one just makes for some insane days, you wouldn't have time to live and it still wouldn't get all 5 done.

Just my two cents... I tried college when DS was a baby, TOO MUCH, and haven't gone back so take that with a grain of salt... most my thoughts are based on seeing DH work his tail off.

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Oh another possibility...carpooling?

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Carpooling and public transit are out... I live too far out in the boondocks.

I am in summer school- Last day is Wednesday, then next semester starts in August.

It would still be a few semesters before we move, but I'd still like to get the classes out of the way as fast as possible.

Five isn't a problem as far as the workload, just the time.

I don't know what to do, I'm just so stuck. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  7. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I had the same problem. I would look and see if they offer any of them online.

Thats what I did. I am taking 2 of my 4 online. So I don't have to drive the 1 1/2 hours one way 4 times a week.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree, try to find some that are online. Also, have you spoken with an adviser--sometimes class sections open up that aren't listed. Any chance you can select some different classes that are out of your planned sequence, but for which you do have the prerequisites?

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm kinda stuck with needing to take these particular ones... I've done all my general, and now working on the degree specific ones... and those all have prerequisites...

[​IMG]

10. farmerKEN

farmerKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Western Mass
    option two.

its better to just get it over with. Especially if your school is like mine where it costs the same per semester no matter how many credits you take (big university) even if you pay per credit getting it over with faster is better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by