1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with colors and breeds of my hatched chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ZooMummzy, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I was hoping I could get some help on determining the colors and breeds on a few of my hatched chicks before I start listing them for sale. I have found it is easier...and looks better to the buyer...if you know what you are talking about - imagine that? lol [​IMG] I've spent a lot of time looking on the internet, trying to find the correct color name for them, but so far really haven't found much. They were hatched on January 5, so almost 3 weeks old now. Most of the eggs were labeled from the seller but some were not. I did have two lavender cochin eggs, both of which hatched but they were all hatching so quickly I couldn't keep track of the chicks. I also had Sizzles and Frizzles, OEGB - barred and spangled only - so the eggs said - and Seramas.

Thank you, any help would be appreciated

Warning: they are cute [​IMG]

I have two OEGB's this color - one of each sex I think. It is kind of hard to tell but they are a very silvery gray all over - no white or other colors. Is there a Silver OEGB?
    [​IMG]

A cochin I just love, especially with the little dots below the eyes
    [​IMG]

Two identical little Cochins? Black? Blue?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another Cochin....
    [​IMG]

And yet another Cochin...
    [​IMG]

And another lol
    [​IMG]

I'm keeping this little Serama, but I'm wondering what color he/she is going to be?
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking this is a Sizzle (I had a couple Sizzle eggs, 1 didn't hatch) because it has a vaulted head unlike the Frizzle (photo below).
    [​IMG]

My white Frizzle - Tallulah [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I can't help with colors but I liove the picture set up. [​IMG] Chicken Noodle Os [​IMG]

3. ebear82

ebear82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2009
    I'm no help either, but your pictures are ADORABLE!!!!

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- the cochins are blue, black and splash. Sometimes they surprise you- you think they're going to be splash and then they turn black. [​IMG]

I'm not sure on the other breeds- but I love your pics too!

5. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thank you very much! [​IMG] The chicks were unsure about the chicken hot pad and the can of soup, lol but it made for a fun photo session to be sure!

So do you think any of them are lavenders? Maybe the lighter one? And thank you....any help is appreciated.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't see any lavendars- but the black could be "split for lav"- meaning they carry the lav gene. Try breeding them together if you keep a pair, and you could get lav babies.

7. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    Beautiful bunch! [​IMG]

8. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    That first one is a beauty queen in the making!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    OOOOH I love Tallulah

10. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Ok thank you! I appreciate that help. I just wasn't sure about the lightest Cochin. Her feathers have a purple tint to them so I wasn't sure if that denoted a lavender. I obviously don't have any lavenders so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I probably won't be breeding them, I'm just going to keep my Serama trio to breed out of this hatch. I am glad to hear I might have a splash or two though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by