Need help with complicated incubation and adoption scenario please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckieduck, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Duckieduck

Duckieduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    I have a broody duck sitting on hatching eggs that don't appear (to my novice eye) to be developing. The eggs would be due to hatch on April 7th if they were to hatch. I want to put some newly hatched ducklings and broken eggs under her in the next day or so because then she'll have babies and hopefully adopt them. However, in case I am wrong and her eggs are viable, I want to put them in an incubator. Can anyone advice me on how to do this at this late stage of their development (if there is any development)? I'd be putting them in about 5 days before possible hatch. Ive never done any of this before. I would wait but I want her to have the ducklings because Im pretty sure her eggs won't hatch, and the other duckings (from a friends broody) are hatching today. Sorry, complicated I know! Can anyone advise me please?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    When was the last time the eggs were candled?
    You don't need to rush to give her the ducklings. Wait. You have about a week window to graft them on to her.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    It seems you only have two options - give her some ducklings and toss the eggs she's sitting on, or wait it out.

4. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    I would wait it out,and if they don't hatch, then stage the birth with some ducklings and broken eggs like you said. That's so funny to me lol [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    You might need to dampen them or she'll be suspicious.

JK don't do that.

1 person likes this.
  6. Duckieduck

Mar 4, 2017
    She'll accept the ducklings that are a week old? How would I introduce them to her and get her to adopt them?

7. Duckieduck

Mar 4, 2017
    You don't think she'll accept them, or you don't think her eggs have a chance to hatch if I move them?
    Thank you

8. Duckieduck

Mar 4, 2017
    PS. Im terrible at candling them, I can't see anything. Also, the last day or two they have gone mottled so I wonder if they've gone bad?

9. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

The younger the better if you're trying to convince her that they can from her eggs. I would just do a switcheroo while she is eating. Although who knows if it would work. Her motherly instincts are already tuned and ready, so it might work.

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The younger the better if you're trying to convince her that they can from her eggs. I would just do a switcheroo while she is eating. Although who knows if it would work. Her motherly instincts are already tuned and ready, so it

:);)...These are Ducks and not Chickens...;)
    Research and experience is needed..:)....Ducks act very different...;)

Anyways to the OP...
    Best wishes..:)

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by