need help with covatutto 16 egg manual incubator{ temperature}

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by andy, Feb 20, 2009.

1. andy

andy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    hi there,, ive got a 60 watt bulb in and ive turned the temperature screw as low as it goes till it turns off, but i cant get the temp below 100,, i tried a 40 watt yesterday but couldnt get it above 90,, this incubator is not mine i have borrowed it from a friend,, they recently put 12 eggs in but only got 4 hatch so i think they must have had the same problem,,
    the thermometer that is in, is bought from a chemist,,not the actual one for the incubator as it got broken,,could that be a problem ?
    the machine is brand new, only used once,
    need advice fairly quick as i dont want to leave my fertile eggs for much longer,,
    thanks andy

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, let's see. . . I'm not at all familiar with that type of bator, but maybe we can come up with a couple of strategies here. First of all, is it a still air bator or does it have a fan? If it's a still air, then 100 degrees is fine - most people incubate at a little bit higher than that in a still air (101 or so). If it's got a fan and you can keep it at 100 degrees, then you should also be fine. If that's not the case, then perhaps a 50 watt appliance bulb? Maybe you could open up more vents or find a way to get just a bit more air flow and use the 60 watt bulb?

3. andy

andy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    yes its a still air incubator,, thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by