Need help with cutting ribbed steel wall

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 1keegan, Feb 4, 2012.

1. 1keegan

1keegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Has anyone used an existing ribbed steel building for a coop?
    We have a windowless steel shed that we may try to remodel into a coop, but not sure where to start cutting the ribbed steel walls to provide adequate ventilation. Looking for tips if anyone has successfully done something similar.
    thanks

2. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    First off...WEAR GOGGLES!!!!

Just go to your favorite Big-Box Hardware store and ask for a Metal blade for a Circular Saw.
    This is assuming you have a Circular Saw. If not, pick up a cheap one of those too...Then you
    just treat the metal as you would wood.

Mark off the area you want to cut, and SLOWLY set the running saw into the material...then cut
    as you normally would. Stop at each corner, and start over in the different direction.

WEAR GOGGLES!!!

And if I didn't mention it before...WEAR GOGGLES!!!

3. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY
    Get a good pair of offset 90 degree shears and be done with it. I just roofed and am in the middle os siding my coop with metal and I get a lot more control form the shears over the circular saw.

4. Ted n Ms

Ted n Ms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Also wear long sleeves and gloves.It will throw steel saw dust on your arms if not covered. Voice of experince speaking here.lol[​IMG]

5. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    reciprocating saw
    [​IMG]
    good bi-metal blades
    eye protection

I have never seen a circular saw blade designed for metal. Ask at your local hardware store if they do. A blade designed for wood WILL tear the metal instead of cutting and may also hurt YOU. I would suggest a grinder and a good wheel designed for cutting before i would a circular saw
    Again eye protection and long sleeves a must.

I disagree that you treat metal as you do wood. I was a Tin knocker for 2 yrs before i started doing the tech side of HVAC

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Get yourself a Metal Cutting blade for a Circular Saw and you'll be done in no time.

[​IMG]

Chris

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If you have a used (don't care about) blade on the circular saw then just turn it around. By running the blade backwards it provides the friction to cut sheet metals.

8. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    that i do recommend..just never seen one small enough for a circular saw.

again use the proper blade...tuning a wood one around is just asking for damage to yourself.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    This is a very bad idea,
    If by chance the blade over heats there is a very good chance that one of the carbide tips could brake off and it would be like a bullet coming off that blade.

Chris

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    That is what my Dad used on ALL of his steel sheet metal panels, worked well and he would just labeled them METAL meaning for that purpose!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by