Need help with daytime possum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 2overeasy, Sep 26, 2010.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    A few of my young chickens are laying on the floor of the coop. I always leave 1 egg in their "nest" when I gather every day so they'll continue to go there (instead of the woods) and inspire those who should start laying any time to go there (again, instead of the woods!). A couple of times I've gone in during the day and noticed the nest completely empty, knowing I had left one. Then 2 days ago, I went into the hen house in early eve/late afternoon and there was a young possum munching on an egg! Nothing can get in their house at night - I made sure of that after I lost 2 THs to weasels. This weekend I've been going out a couple of times a day to check for eggs and the possum.
    I want to put out a live trap but I'm not sure where - or when - to put it. I kind of want it out during the day near the door to catch it's daytime foraging. But then, I'm worried that one of the chickens will go in it. I don't want to put it near the nest, obviously, but I don't know whether I should put it right by the door into the hen house or by the gate going into the yard that door opens out onto. I can put it outside the door at night, b/c then the chickens will be safely in the house and they can't spring the trap. And what do I bait it with?
    Really need some help with this. I didn't even know they came out during the day. A friend said that yes, they and raccoons will come out in the day if they think they can get something.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    A quick .22 bullet would help! [​IMG] If not your thing, I would put the trap outside of the coop at night, and why not bait it with an egg? Others use sardines, raw chicken, wet and dry cat food. If it's eggs he's after, he will probably go for it in the trap, so may others. Where there is one, there are many... good luck!

3. DawnM

DawnM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Tacoma, Wa
    When I was a dog groomer we would have people come in to collect dirty dog hair. They would put it down mole holes and around their yards to keep all kinds of animals away. I have never tried it but a lot of people swear by it. Maybe if the coop smelled more like dog they would avoid it.

4. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    You can bait your trap with a couple of eggs for a possum....works great and doesn't attract cats. Good luck catching it. Don't let it stay around or it will grow up and start killing the chickens.

5. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    I would be concerned about this behavior since possums are nocturnal. Be very careful catching it - possums have 50 teeth! They are best trapped with a 10x12x32 inch cage trap or even better to shoot 'em if you can. Since opossums and skunks occupy the same habitat types, open grid cage traps should be covered (top, bottom and sides) with heavy cardboard or 1/4 inch plywood. Almost any type of food can be used as bait to trap opossums. Using fruit, berries, raw egg, or peanut butter rather than meat will reduce the chance of catching neighborhood cats. I have read a lot of BYC members use marshmallows. Good luck!

6. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:don't get the connxn. 'tween two species occupying same habitat and need for heavy covering over the live trap. new to me..................could you explain perhaps? tx!!

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:how do they get in during the day ? by the door would be good. just keep the birds in for a day or two until you rid yourself of the possum most animals are neither nocturnal or daytime they just wait until human activity dies down then they feed. minimum human activity thats when they show up

8. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    During the day I open the door so they can free range my farm. The hen house door opens into a completely enclosed yard. Then there's a gate that opens onto the farm. At night, both the gate and the door are closed.
    And yes, I'm scared of their teeth, too. Like JMC, I'm curious about why to enclose all sides.
    And if I put it out during day - especially with berries and stuff like that - I'm concerned the chickens will go in.
    Thanks everyone, this is helpful.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  9. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I also had an egg eating possum!

[​IMG]

10. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    kichohana wrote:
    I would be concerned about this behavior since possums are nocturnal. Be very careful catching it - possums have 50 teeth! They are best trapped with a 10x12x32 inch cage trap or even better to shoot 'em if you can. Since opossums and skunks occupy the same habitat types, open grid cage traps should be covered (top, bottom and sides) with heavy cardboard or 1/4 inch plywood. Almost any type of food can be used as bait to trap opossums.

I think kichohana was meaning that you could inadvertantly trap a SKUNK and then the enclosed trap would help you avoid being sprayed.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by