Need help with Diagnosis

NelsonValley

Hatching
Feb 26, 2020
Need a little help figuring out whats wrong with my hen. She is a Barred Rock Plymouth at just over 2 years old with perfect health her entire life, and has been coop bound for winter with her flock (24 hen total) since the end of December.

Over the past week she has not been acting herself. She moves more slowly and has been occasionally been puffing her feathers, twitching her head more often, and half closing her eyes (reference picture 1), although still wanders about the coop, scratches at the floor, and keeps her tail upright, anything but lethargic.

I have checked for mites and have found no sign anywhere, day or night (I also use preventive measure, same Ive been using for 6 years).
Her crop is soft and maluable like the rest of my birds and appears to empty over night.
Her water contains a small amounts of apple cider vinegar to protect from parasites and over all gut health, and her poop, although soft and unformed, contains no sign of worms (reference picture 2, it may appear to be bubbly in the picture but that is just the reflection from the camera flash) or blood that would be associated with cocci, and the content is the correct portions of white and dark matter.
She has no injuries or signs of infection, other than in the process of molting.
She does show interest in treats like the occasional grapes, and fresh snow.
Her ears are clear of mites and infection (not a fan of that check)
Her vent has a bit of poop around it, but is otherwise clear of any obstruction including egg binding.
She has no difficulty breathing, no bubbles in her eyes, and no wheezes or rattles, even listening through stethoscope.

At this point I am at a loss on what else to check or where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200226_144646.jpg
    20200226_144646.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200226_144039.jpg
    20200226_144039.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 13
My guess would be something internal is going on. She also looks slightly plucked of feathers? What are you feeding? How many birds, and how big is the coop?

Chickens can eat the strangest things which can cause problems. Also they can suffer from organ failures and cancers. A vet may be able to diagnose the problem. Otherwise it's a lot of guessing without more specific symptoms.

My guess would be something internal is going on. She also looks slightly plucked of feathers? What are you feeding? How many birds, and how big is the coop?

Chickens can eat the strangest things which can cause problems. Also they can suffer from organ failures and cancers. A vet may be able to diagnose the problem. Otherwise it's a lot of guessing without more specific symptoms.

The slightly plucked look of her feathers is from her preening during molt, most of my hens look like until new feathers come in, and I can see new feather beneath the rough ones.
The feed is a higher quality feed, same as Ive been using for 6 years and Im willing to pay the extra for it as I see better results with my hens over all.
There is 24 hens in an insulted coop made to fit 32. I dont like having that many as its to much for just me to handle. There is no Roosters either.
I am wondering if she ate something but shes been in the coop for 2 months now and there isnt anything beyond whats normally present for bedding, bathing and the like.
Sadly I dont live in an area with a vet who knows or cares about chickens, so I can't get help there. This has come on quite sudden but shows no signs of getting worse nor better, so Im left feeling helpless as Im out of knowledgable options

Is she laying eggs at present? Can you gather some droppings in a plastic bag and take it in to your local vet for a fecal test, to look for worms and coccidiosis? Since they have been cooped up for awhile, one of those might be possible. Here is a do it at home one that might help if you cannot:
https://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-Rabbits-Turtles-Collect-Sample/dp/B000J5SOZ4
She has not been laying eggs for the past week, and sadly no vet in the area has been willing to help. Apparently I live in a region where thats not a thing?

Thanks for the test link, ill order one and check

Testing for worms and coccidiosis is a start. You gave a very good synopsis of her overall condition. Many things can cause a hen to feel bad. Can you feel of her lower belly to see if it is enlarged or full, and if she has lost any weight in her breast. I would just try to make sure that she is eating and drinking. A poultry vitamin, such as Poultry NutriDrench, or a 1/4 tablet of B Complex daily for a few days, might give her a boost.

So it turns out it is an impacted crop, although minor.
What ever she has stuck is soft and maluable, as she has been squishing it flat so i haven't been able to find it.
Spent multiple times today giving water so I can break it up by hand, this last bit was about the size of a marble but after a couple hours of massaging and oil/water flush, seemed to to go down, will check her tomorrow and go to soft food until shes acting right.

Thank you for all your help, I was honestly losing my mind, but just caught her at the right time this morning to find it.

Back
Top Bottom