1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with Dorothy Zbornchick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MEMama3, Aug 23, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Miss Dorothy was sold to me as a "barnyard mix". I had posted pictures of her 2 months ago and three people replied with "Black Sex-Link", but I'm not so sure about that if only that sex-links are intentionally bred and barnyard mix tells me "we just let them do their thing with no regard". She's 18 weeks now, so I thought I'd try this again. What breed(s) do you think she is?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    She has more gold on her than most Black Sex links I've seen, so I would go with "Barnyard mix". I have seen some Buff Orpington crosses that look similar, so maybe that was one of the breeds involved.

3. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I know the lady has buff orps because I bought one from her last spring. What do you think the other breed could be?

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:If she lets her birds mix it up with no control, you may be looking at 3 to 20 breeds involved. This bird isn't a first generation Orpington cross, or she would have white legs.

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I'd say she is a black sex link or a black sex link cross. I have some BSL crosses and some of both genders have the black with red/gold leakage coloring, others were barred with red leakage only on the males.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd say that she's a cross, probably with some Black Sex-Link. There are probably quite a few breeds in her background, though.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a color you could get either way.
    The whole point of a black sex link is to sex your chick at hatch to be sure you have a female. You already know this bird is female. I've made sex linked chicks with a second generation mixed breed rooster over a barred hen. So really what does it matter at this point? She's a mixed breed any way, looks like she'll be a nice brown egg layer. She's a classic BarnYard Mix.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree with the rest. You'll never know what chickens bred to make this bird. She's a Barnyard Special, and leave it at that.

9. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I can live with that. :) Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by