NEED HELP WITH DUCK BREED AND GENDER

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nanas Silkies, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Nanas Silkies

Nanas Silkies Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    Could anyone help me i am wanting to by these ducks they said they they where supposed to be magpie but they turned out to look like ancona's, i was wondering if they are anconas and they said they are both females but the one with more black on the back looks like a female but idk about the other could anyone help me?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    They are patterned more like ancona but you can't be sure 100%. They seem small for ancona, how old are they? Ancona should weigh 6 to 6.5lb.

3. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    X2 you've got two lovely Anaconas :) If it quacks, it's a girl and if it makes a hoarse whispery/ wheeze noise than its a drake. How old are they? You can normally sex them by their voice by 6-8 weeks, sometimes sooner.

4. Nanas Silkies

May 2, 2016
    I am not for sure she said they just started to lay. i think the one with a black blob on it back is a female though and i think the other is a drake i hope not though because if i buy i have to put them in with my chickens and i dont want the drake to hurt my hens?

5. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Drakes usually won't mess with chickens if they have a duck to go with them. Do they sound different? As in one is quiet and raspy when it quacks while the other has a loud clear quack?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  6. Nanas Silkies

May 2, 2016
    to be honest i have not went there to pick them up yet so i dont know what they sound like yet but if you look at the end tail feathers in the pic it looks like it is curved like a drakes but can hens have that to?

7. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    I do not see a drake feather on either one. A hen can not have a drake feather.

8. Nanas Silkies

May 2, 2016
    okay i though that to idk if my eyes where triking me but if they look like hens and they said they are just starting to lay then i might just buy them. i just wanted to know the right gender and breed before i buy.

9. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    [​IMG]
    This is a pair of my snowy calls. See the 2 really curly featners right at the base of his tail and the tip of his wings? Those are drake feathers.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  10. Nanas Silkies

May 2, 2016
    okay yes i see i dont think i see those on the feathers so i think they are both hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by