Need Help With Duck Hatching!

ducky101

Hatching
Jul 9, 2016

This duck started pipping almost 24 hrs ago and at 12 I could not see his beak so I pulled away the shell and outer membrane that was attached to the shell but now 12 hrs after that it's still inside its membrane but beak out and breathing but hasn't moved or tried to move to get out. Membrane is starting to dry on it but still chirping and breathing. What do I do?

I am not a hatcher, but you might put a wet paper towel over the whole towel and egg setup, try to moisten the membrane without drowning the duckling

@Lacrystol is a hatcher, so is @dotknott and @learycow and there are others.

@casportpony - any ideas?

I am not a hatcher, but you might put a wet paper towel over the whole towel and egg setup, try to moisten the membrane without drowning the duckling

@Lacrystol is a hatcher, so is @dotknott and @learycow and there are others.

@casportpony - any ideas?
X2. Keep it moist so the membrane doesn't get sticky/gooey or shrink wrap the duckling. You can use vaseline on the membrane. What day is the egg on? If it is breathing and chirping well, try not to assist the duckling out. It could still be absorbing the yolk. If you feel you must assist please read this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
Good luck and keep us posted.

I used vasaline now he's all shiny lol! He finally came out last night after 36 hours but came out with this:

Please help me!!! Is he going to make it?

Last edited:
I used vasaline now he's all shiny lol! He finally came out last night after 36 hours but came out with this:
That is still a lot of yolk to absorb and it seems like an abnormal growth. This doesn't look good to me but I'm no expert. Hopefully someone with way more knowledge will reply soon. Keep him in the incubator on clean paper towels. Very important to keep the area clean. You can dab with betadine. Let us know how it's doing.

@RavynFallen
@casportpony
@Lacrystol

Last edited:
That is still a lot of yolk to absorb and it seems like an abnormal growth. This doesn't look good to me but I'm no expert. Hopefully someone with way more knowledge will reply soon. Keep him in the incubator on clean paper towels. Very important to keep the area clean. You can dab with betadine. Let us know how it's doing.

@RavynFallen
@casportpony
@Lacrystol
@ducky101 how is the little one?

I think I can already figure the end result. poor little thing. Did he do this on his own? Cup would have probably helped but without his shell to protect him, he's at HIGH risk for infection. I hate to say it but I can't see this little one making but crossing fingers there's better news. Would like to know what happened before all this went down, that would help in correcting the problem so you can prepare or avoid this from happening again.

Back
Top Bottom