Need Help with Duckling Temperature Situation

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
So, I ordered 10 ducklings a couple weeks ago and they arrived today. Our weather here has been super nice recently but of course the day we pick up the ducks is when it gets cold and snowy again. We had been planning to keep them in their coop from the very beginning with a heat lamp, but changed plans and brought them inside since it got cold.

Problem is my mom had a very severe allergic reaction to the ducklings so I had to get them out of the house ASAP. They're currently in the coop, but it's supposed to get to -9C (15F) tonight, and I'm worried about the situation. Not only is it supposed to be cold out, the forecast says it will feel like 3F instead of 15. This weather is supposed to last 4 days, then warm up a bit.

I've been keeping a very close eye on them, and they seem fine to me. When they were in the house they were definitely more active, though, and unless I'm catching them at the wrong times they mostly just stay under the lamp and only go out for quick drinks. They haven't been shivering or showing any signs of being cold other than that, thankfully. It's currently 21F in the coop.

I have a blanket over half the brooder, but I don't think it will do much at all. The coop is mostly insulated, so that's good, but it will still get pretty cold out there.

I'm not sure what to do. I can't bring them back inside, but keeping them out in this cold seems like a big risk, and I have to keep checking on them very often, which is a pain.

I'm completely lost about what to do. Part of me feels like they're way more hardy than we give them credit, but I don't want to take risks.

Can you guys think of any solution? Do you think they'll be okay out in the coop? Any help is appreciated!

Whats the temp under the lamp?
It fluctuates from about 90-100F. Don't worry, I've been keeping a close eye on them and they're definitely not overheating.

Quick update:
I moved the heat lamp into the center of their brooder so the whole area is getting heat. I know you're usually supposed to keep the area with the food away from the heater, but I really don't think there's anyway they're going to overheat. Anyway, since I moved the lamp they seem to be doing way better. Running around, eating, and making a complete mess of the water. :p

I hope that this works. I guess it's a good test for anyone else wondering how cold newly-hatched ducklings can stand.

It fluctuates from about 90-100F. Don't worry, I've been keeping a close eye on them and they're definitely not overheating.

Quick update:
I moved the heat lamp into the center of their brooder so the whole area is getting heat. I know you're usually supposed to keep the area with the food away from the heater, but I really don't think there's anyway they're going to overheat. Anyway, since I moved the lamp they seem to be doing way better. Running around, eating, and making a complete mess of the water. :p

I hope that this works. I guess it's a good test for anyone else wondering how cold newly-hatched ducklings can stand.
That would be my suggestion, actally. I dont out food in the direct light but I akwaus make sure if the area the food is in is COLD, the entire area is being hit by heat.

do you have extra funds? I’d get a heating platform for them, jic. If not, leave out some Empty jugs filled up with hot, and I mean HOT water. They stay really warm for a long time

Well, I'm a bit anxious about leaving them out there tonight but there's nothing else I can really do. Last time I checked they were happy and doing fine, so I hope the heat lamp stays hot enough through the whole night.

I'm also hoping I don't worry about it all night and give myself a bad sleep. Worrying about pets when you're trying to sleep is the worst. :(

I'm also hoping I don't worry about it all night and give myself a bad sleep. Worrying about pets when you're trying to sleep is the worst.

...it's supposed to get to -9C (15F) tonight, and I'm worried about the situation. Not only is it supposed to be cold out, the forecast says it will feel like 3F instead of 15.
That "feels like" is including wind chill. If the ducklings are in a coop out of the wind, they will not have any wind chill effects.

Maybe that can help a little with the worrying :)

I'm also hoping I don't worry about it all night and give myself a bad sleep. Worrying about pets when you're trying to sleep is the worst. :(

I feel you on that. I can get pretty worked up over the health of my animals. I probably would have thrown my mom outside first lol.

How are your little ones doing this morning?

How are your little ones doing this morning?
They're all doing perfectly fine, thank goodness. :love They don't seem to mind the cold at all. I think since I got them out of the house so fast they quickly acclimated to the temperature, otherwise it probably wouldn't have gone so well.

I'll keep a very close eye on them, but I think the worst is over. My biggest worry now is that the heat lamp bulb will go out. :hmm

That's good to hear!

I've been running my heat lamp basically non-stop for the last month and I haven't had to change anything yet. As long as the bulb is new, and you aren't concerned about your power going out, I wouldn't worry too much there.

I've read some people run two lamps in case that happens though. Would definitely give them more of a safety net being outside, but I think you'd be good for now if the lamp/bulb are new.

That's good to hear!

I've been running my heat lamp basically non-stop for the last month and I haven't had to change anything yet. As long as the bulb is new, and you aren't concerned about your power going out, I wouldn't worry too much there.

I've read some people run two lamps in case that happens though. Would definitely give them more of a safety net being outside, but I think you'd be good for now if the lamp/bulb are new.
For my peace of mind I'm going to switch out this older bulb for a new one. That should last a good long time.

Sadly I can't run two heat lamps at the same time. If we hook too many things up to the power out in the coop the breaker will go off.

For now everything is going well. The ducklings are extremely happy and seem to be having a great first few days of life. :D

Back
Top Bottom