Need help with ducks in shock following attack

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DukesMum, Sep 4, 2016.

1. DukesMum

DukesMum New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Hello all,

A ferret recently got into my pen and attacked my Khaki Campbell's (3 yrs old). 3 sadly didn't make it but 4 did with minor wounds. I have treated them, brought them inside but they are so very sad and in shock. The attack was 2 days ago. They are drinking if we hand hold the water in front of them but barely eating and are so quiet. Has anyone else dealt with this, how long did it last? Is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable? I'm so very sad for them, they must have been petrified.

Thanks

2. julieholt

julieholt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    im not an expert but if it was me i would place them some where dark thats quiet for a while this should help them to calm down and feel safe hope this helps. sorry im not more helpful

3. DukesMum

DukesMum New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Thank you, any help is appreciated, I have them in a dark room now. Hopefully they will start to calm down.

4. julieholt

julieholt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    it may take them a while to calm down because of the shock keep me updated on there progress hope it helps to bring them back to there quacky selves [​IMG]

5. DukesMum

DukesMum New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    I will, thanks for your wishes x

6. DukesMum

DukesMum New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Hi Its been over a week now. They are slowly eating peas but still appear to be in a lot of pain. 2 of them are mobile, swimming and walking but 2 are still incredibly sad, heads down not moving. It's unbearable, I don't know how to help them :-(

7. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    Sorry to hear that I'm sure all they need is time. My duck Donald was attacked by a neighbors dog though he was not hurt it took him and his girls a good week to get back to themselves. your ducks had some injuries so they probably need a little more time. i wish you and your ducks well[​IMG]

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Did you inspect for injuries under wings and around vents?

I would get them into a tub of lukewarm water and let them swim and watch them carefully - there could have been internal injuries, pulled muscles, broken bones.

I would add vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics to their water twice a week. If it's possible to have a vet look at them, I would, since they are not bouncing back quickly. It does not mean they won't be back to normal, but it could mean they need extra support.

Are they in the same environment as they were during the attack? Sometimes that can be stressful.

Do they have treats they enjoy?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by