Need help with egg eating chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RavenStorm, Feb 3, 2009.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I know that once they learn this behavior, it's REALLY hard if not impossible to get them to stop breaking and eating their own eggs. Well, yesterday one of them kicked her egg out of the nest and the three birds that were in the coop at the time went to town on it. Today they pecked ( it "dented" but didn't break) one egg, broke and began eating another (which I interrupted and cleaned up), and then they were getting ready to do the same thing to a third but I walked out and stopped the situation at exactly the right time to save it.

Anyone have some good, simple plans for roll away nest boxes? I'm thinking that I need to rip out the existing ones [​IMG]. I'll try to post some pics of my boxes as they are now, any advice you guys can give me to adjust them to save me the trouble of tearing them out would be greatly appreciated.

2. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    You can try blowing out a few eggs and replacing the contents with hot mustard. It wont taste nearly as good.

3. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Here is a somewhat frontal view:

[​IMG]

and here is a side view:

[​IMG]

The back is pressed up against a brick wall, so I can't make any adjustments from the back only in the front. Any tips?

4. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:Hhmmm, that actually doesn't sound too bad, I might give that one a try ...

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You might do a search on "egg eating" because a lot of people have had the same problem, including me. The only thing that solved my problem was getting rid of the hens.

6. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have the same problem. More than half the eggs we get are broken.

7. phoenix rooster

phoenix rooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Portland, OR
    i smeared an egg with anti pick lotion put the egg on the floor watch them lick and peck the lotion off in disgust i think it worked but you mght have to repeat it a few times just make sure they dont crack the egg. mine also lay on the roost and some soft shells that broke. you have to remove those fast.....i keep the egg in the nest too so far no ones touched it again

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i have tryed to hotsauce in the blown out egg thing.. did not work for me... maybe the hot mustard is better...
    anytime i have eggs getting eaten i clip beaks.. get a sharp dog nail cutter and nip off the end of the beak on top only... it usually bleeds just a bit.. but it stops them from cracking open the eggs.. if you know WHAT hen started it all.. cull her... sorry
    i have 3 hens i am suspecting right now.. i clipped their beaks yesterday... when i get home tonight i will find out if any got eaten..

9. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I'm not against eating the hens, but the fact is that these girls JUST started laying a few weeks ago. It hasn't even been a full month of laying yet, and it feels like it would be such a waste to get rid of 3 out of 5 birds after all of this work. That's why I'm asking for instructions for a roll away nest box that has a covered egg receptical as an almost last-ditch effort to not have chicken dinner early. I did a search on this site and lots of people have talked about them, but I haven't seen any good instructions.

10. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Use grape soda with artificial grape flavor (not real grape). Chickens react to it the way mammals react to hot pepper.

Try spritzing it on golf balls, other fake eggs or real eggs. A beakful or two of that may break them of it.

Here's a post with a very nice rollaway nest box design, includes pics:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=76189

Edited to fix link

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by