Need help with egg laying.

Rosecoop

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2015
We have four Barred Rocks and two Marans. They just started laying today at 6 months old. One of my Marans has laid two eggs within 10 minutes of each other. The first one cracked and the other was a bit misshapened. Both eggs had hard shells and seemed to be healthy...minus the shape. Is it normal for a chicken to lay two eggs within such a short time span? I thought it took 24hrs for an egg to form and be delivered. She is completely healthy and never had any issues with her or my other girls. Any thoughts? We feed our girls LayerPlus from Tractor Supply and even though it says we don't need to, we add crushed oyster shell to their grit and scratch. We've been feeding them this for the past two months, so they would have all the calcium they needed when they start laying...which is today, lol. Just worried. Thanks.

I seriously doubt that the same pullet laid the eggs. It's not really physically possible for them to produce two eggs at once. It's much more likely that they were laid by two different girls.

I watched it! She was in the coop by herself for about 15 minutes moving the fresh hay around. When she came out, there was an egg in there...No other eggs were in the coop at that time because I had picked them up before cleaning the coop. Then she walked over to the edge of the fence and laid another from a standing position. I wish I was mistaken, but I was present during all of it. That's why I was asking about a 24hr production/delivery of an egg. Now I'm really worried!!

Maybe she was going to lay it the day before and then it got dark and didn't lay so another egg started to form and and was to come out the day with the other one. I mean since chickens don't lay when it starts to get dark beach use they go to find a place high off the ground to settle in for the night. And as they know once it starts to get dark they know things come out to get something to eat

Last edited:
I don't know. I've been playing things back in my head to see if there's any way I could have been mistaken. I cleaned the coop out and removed three eggs while doing so. When I put in fresh hay and straw, she was the only hen to go right inside and started scooping out the corner of the coop and laid there for about 15 minutes. When she came out of the coop there was an egg in her corner. She walked to the edge of the fence with the other hens and then laid an egg while standing. She is one of only two marans that I have. Maybe I was looking at the other maran, but I'm certain I was looking at the same bird.

Everything I could find online says there are several reasons for laying an odd shaped egg. Maybe it's due to her being a new layer, age, etc. I'll just keep an eye on her and see what develops. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I would never argue with folks who have far more experience than myself...which in this case is almost everyone, lol. Thank you.

I'm new to my 2 sex links hens, but just about everytime I go out to the coop I find something new, small eggs, jumbo eggs, one small egg, one jumbo egg, you get the picture..................I just keep a journal, I believe your hen laid 2 eggs, since she is new to laying she probably did'nt know what to expect.

Well I just dug around some more online and YES, it is possible for a chicken to lay more than one egg in a 24hr period. However, it is not common. I called my vet and he said not to worry, it's more than likely due to her first laying cycle and will eventually start laying either one egg a day or two eggs in a 3 day period. he also told me that the chicken's egg laying system IS designed to lay no more than one egg a day, but there are usually exceptions every now and then. I was very happy to hear that he told me not to worry, lol. Just keep an eye on all my hens and monitor what develops.

Back
Top Bottom