need help with egg storage for diy incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by backyardmomma, Mar 15, 2015.

1. backyardmomma

backyardmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    northern California
    I have searched the thread and read several post didn't find what i was looking for. I am fostering chickens for a unknown amount of time. In trade there giving anything i need for making a incubator and brooder. Now all i need to know is how do i save up eggs or is it best to just add new eggs every day the lay 3 to 6 eggs a day most days from four hens. Each are diffent breed and the rooster is rir. If you need more info let me know.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

You can safely store eggs for up to 2 weeks before incubating them, though ideally you should set them no later than a week to 10 days after laying, for optimal hatch results. After 3 weeks you may have hatching and embryo development issues arising due to the age of the eggs.

Store the eggs in a cool place (not the fridge), upright with the fat end up and tilt them at least once day. What I do is when storing eggs for hatching is place them in an egg carton/tray and put something like a book under one end, so it tilts the entire carton. I swap the book to the opposite end of the carton once a day, tilting the eggs in the opposite direction.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Sometimes, especially when single matings are used, it's necessary to stagger the incubating of eggs. It's not ideal and most that do it have another incubator dedicated to hatching, last three days incubating.

Ideally it's best to collect and store then set at same time with only one incubator. I store and turn exactly how SUMI indicated.

4. backyardmomma

backyardmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    northern California
    Thank you so much. I will have my foster babies by today or tomorrow so not a lot of time to figure it all out. Lol thankfully i have a bit of chicken knowledge and have co raised them myself but never dealt with chicks or eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by