Need help with electric fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Duckledoodledoo, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Duckledoodledoo

Duckledoodledoo New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Does anyone know anything about the Farmily brand 42"x164' Deer & Livestock Electric Netting fence? I bought it with the Fi-Shock EAC10A-FS Super 525 Energizer for 10 acres (more than enough), but I feel it didn't come with all I need to energize it. Anyone have experience with these and can tell me what extra I need to get? I'm not too knowledgable in it. The fence is completely wired and uses polywire. I dunno if I can post links or images being new, but it's on amazon with pics.

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B019OII47E/

and

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00536X0AS/

Thanks

2. Duckledoodledoo

Duckledoodledoo New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Anyone?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t know what you got in total. I’ll guess it was only the netting and the energizer. Did you get instructions with either of those showing you how to hook it up? Can you find a package that ways it gives you all you need instead of just those two items? That may tell you what you need.

I’m not familiar with that brand, I got mine from Premier. If you go to Premier’s website they have some really good instructions showing you how to hook it up. You don’t have to buy anything from them to look at their website. But much better would be the manufacturer’s own website. Or call the manufacturer with your questions.

In addition to the energizer and the netting, you need to ground it. That requires a ground stake and wiring. You also need wiring to go between the energizer and the netting.

One very serious question I’d have for the manufacturer is on the continuous AC current output charger. I’m not 100% sure what that means, if it means the energizer requires a continuous current input or if the output is continuous. The one I got does not give continuous output, it pulses about 50 times a minute. By pulsing a quick current and then shutting it off, it gives the animal or you a chance to turn loose. If the current is continuous you or the animal may not be able to turn loose. That is extremely dangerous. Looking through the FAQ’s I’m really nervous about this. To me this is worth contacting the manufacturer directly.

4. Duckledoodledoo

Duckledoodledoo New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    If you look at the links to amazon it shows you what the netting came with and that the fencing is completely wired and grounded, there's no need for additional wires, it's not that kind of unit, but I feel I'm still missing a few pieces and the fencing didn't come with instructions.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Contact the manufacturer and see if they can give you instructions. Also search their website. Often they post instructions online. My personal preference would be a phone call so I could talk to them about that continuous discharge, but e-mail may work.

6. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Can you post a pic of the fencer and fence you have to work with? This is not rocket surgery.

Fence, fencer, power supply and ground. Connect it all up and turn it on.

7. Duckledoodledoo

Duckledoodledoo New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    You know, you could stop and actually think before being rude and snoody. It's doesn't take a genius to figure out someone may be new to this and need some guidance. I'll just go elsewhere.

8. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Sorry if that came off as being rude. Not intentional, I assure you. Actually, I applaud your effort to get it working. It is one of the best defenses you can have for your birds.

The point being these things are relatively simple to setup and use. I imagine any number of people on this forum can help, but since you don't know what you have to work with, and have no instructions, the only way we can help is if you provide enough information to help you.

If you don't know what the parts and pieces are well enough to describe them in detail, the best way to do that is to provide a photograph of what you have so informed eyes can see it and help you piece it together.

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Whoa, Ddd, I don't see where anyone was being impolite or anything. I understand you're a bit aggravated with your purchase but take a deep breath and relax a bit. If it was Howard E's "rocket science" comment, well, it truly isn't rocket science. [​IMG]

You have a relatively light-duty setup that will need to be installed correctly to work well. Some things to check (basically a generic check list):

* Make sure that the fencing isn't shorted out anywhere...that the actual wires that will shock aren't in contact with vegetation...they have to be insulated from "ground".
    * Make sure the wires are not broken somewhere along the netting.
    * Make sure that the fence charger is grounded (wire ran from it to a ground-rod that is pounded into the earth. Make sure that you have power going to the charger.
    * Make sure all connections are clean and tight.

Seriously, I wouldn't go elsewhere, otherwise you will miss some very good help from folks on this forum. Your choice, though.

Best wishes,
    Ed

ETA: It looks like Howard E posted while I was slowly typing. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by