Need Help with exterior nest box access on my movable coop!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by remadl76239, Jan 31, 2015.

1. remadl76239

remadl76239 New Egg

Dec 3, 2014
    I am building a movable chicken coop that can be pulled a small tractor or 4 wheeler. I am nearing completion and I am stuck on exactly how to design the lids for the nesting/laying boxes so water won't be dripping in on them from the hindge point. I will try and inlcude some pics so you can see my progress.

This is designed and built out of my head and have just run into some sticking points. I will try and post pics for reference and what I am talking about with the exterior lid design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have the same style nest boxes on my coop. My first thought was to to slip some aluminum flashing under the wall but was afraid with all the bending while collecting eggs that it would fail. So what I did was make a 4" wooden awning over the hinge as low as I could get it and still allow the lid to work and ran a good bead of calk on top. It has been there almost 5 years now and still isn't leaking.

3. remadl76239

remadl76239 New Egg

Dec 3, 2014
    Thanks for the input. I'll post some more pics as I go.

4. SFrati

SFrati Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Springfield, MA
    You could install the hinges and then line the roof and over the hinges with plastic before putting any shingles on. One sheet of plastic would insure that there would be no break for water to get inside.

5. remadl76239

remadl76239 New Egg

Dec 3, 2014
    Here is the final product. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found that using 4 inch flashing as my egg catching tray worked perfectly ...........in theory!:rolleyes:

6. SFrati

SFrati Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Springfield, MA
    Make sure you cover where the eggs will be. You don't want to them to get rained and snowed on.

7. remadl76239

remadl76239 New Egg

Dec 3, 2014
    I didnt think that would be a big issue but have some ideas on covering the area. My daughter ran about 30 test runs on dropping eggs on the carpet and allowing the eggs to roll down. All but the biggest egg had issues. Which worked on all but the double yokers.

8. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    I just put a strip of foam weather door seal right below the hinge. Then a hook and eye on the front of the lid to pull it down tight and compress the foam. Has worked well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by