Need help with eye injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TroyBlackburn, Mar 4, 2014.

1. TroyBlackburn

TroyBlackburn Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2012
    I know eye injuries have been discussed many times before and I've read through many of the posts, but most don't seem to be close enough to the same thing my chicken has for me to be certain of how to proceed and if I shouldn't be doing something more.

I returned from out of town 5 nights ago, my girlfriend told me that she noticed one of our 5 month old chickens was keeping it's right eye shut. We have 38 chickens ranging in age from 2 years to just over 5 months. The next morning when I let the chickens out I found that it's eye is shut and very swollen. The eye itself is very cloudy, including the iris, which is a cloudy cream color now. Before I was able to get to it I also saw one of the other chickens peck the eye. I immediately separated it from the others and treated the eye with Vetericyn; which I have been doing 2 or 3 times a day since.

On the 2nd day while I was treating the eye she discharged a very watery bright green "poop". Among the things I've read is that this can be caused by passing bile when they are not eating. I felt her crop and it was empty. I have not seen her eat on her own over the past 5 days. I have been mixing feed with water to create a somewhat watery paste and feeding her with a meat injector (without the needle of course). I do that at least once a day until I feel that her crop is at least somewhat full. The composition of her poop has improved.

She has no other signs of a respiratory infection that I can see (or smell) , the eye has not gotten worse, but probably not much better. She rests a lot and does not seem interested in food or water, however does take it when I force feed her. She still has a reasonable amount of strength and will put up a pretty good fight when I am trying to treat her and she doesn't like what I'm doing. She will also walk around the yard when I take her outside, though she is obviously cautious around the other chickens (I stand guard to protect her whenever I take her outside).

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Can you possibly post a picture of the eye so we can see it? This would help us understand the situation a bit better. When my girls get eye injuries I use all natural collidial silver. The silver I use is 500 parts per million. It has some wonderful healing properties. It acts as a antiseptic and has antibotic Properties To it. You might consider giving it a try. It's also gentle as well. I hope this is helpful and wish you the best. If you could post that pic perhaps we can be of more help.

3. TroyBlackburn

May 23, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TroyBlackburn

May 23, 2012
    Update: I just got done feeding her in the manner described in the initial post and have just observed her drinking on her own. This is the first time I have seen here take anything in on her own in 5 days.

I could still definitely use any advice regarding anything I could be/should be doing.

Thank You

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by