1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help with family sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sadheart, Feb 8, 2016.

1. sadheart

sadheart New Egg

Feb 8, 2016
    have a older hen that's been in the family for a long time she was doing good until winter set in I had heat lamp in with her then one day she stop walking and cant stand and she cant flap her wings but her tail does move and she can move her neck but she cant seam to eat on her own I need to feed her by hand and I made a holder sling to keep her off her legs in the day then lay her on a folded up towel at night I do leg and wing exercise with her every day but no luck she seams to feel her lift leg she just cant move it and it feels warm but her right leg nothing no reaction she seams to be alert and know what is around her she just cant move I am having to give her sponge baths to keep her clean. so can anyone tell me what is wrong with her. her name is super chicken we called her that do to she layed some super big eggs CAN SOMEONE TELL US WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER AND IS THERE ANYTHING WE CAN DO TO FIX HER PLEASE )-: you can email me :[email protected]" to days date is feb 8th 2016

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    welcome to BYC older chickens don't typically get mareks but it could be an option, another could be botulism was there any moldy food around that she could have gotten ahold of, the last and final option is that she may just be getting to the end of her life, you said she was an older chicken, those are my 2 cents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by