1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with Family Vacation destination.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SophieLain127, May 19, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    So we are planning our family vacation and are leaning towards Red River Gorge in Kentucky. It's only about a three or four hour drive which is great for us.

Have any of you ever been there? If so what do you recommend doing there? Also is there anything to do in the following towns of Stanton or Clay City. We are planning on camping and possibly staying at JOHN SWIFTS LOST SILVER MINE CAMPGROUND? Anyone ever been there? Any info or suggestions would be great.

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have no clue but I love your Avatar!!
    bird bird bird the birds the word I said the bird bird bird the birds the word [​IMG]

3. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    I've been hiking in Red River Gorge before and it is beautiful. I have no idea what there is to do around there--but keep in mind it is way rural eastern Ky. If you like camping you'll probably be fine.

Not knowing exactly where you're coming from, you might also consider Cumberland Falls. It's also in eastern Ky--much further south. It's a state park--good campgrounds, very nice lodge where you can eat dinner (for those nights you're too pooped to cook--and the food is great Southern cooking), and a very nice pool. Lots of good hiking & waterfalls to look at in addition to the big one. There's also rafting on the river, and plenty of very large rocks to climb around on. There are horseback rides. It's very non-commercial and peaceful. I grew up near there and really love it.

4. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    We are planning on camping, also my SIL lives in Nicholasville so we will be staying there a night or two. We like greasy spoon diners and antique malls, flea markets, etc. We are probably going to try and do some canoeing We'd like do horse back riding but I don't know with Sophie. She's only 2 so I don't know what she will and will not tolerate. The vacation is in July so we'll just have to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by