Need help with finding out who has a temperment

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by angelbabe01, Nov 1, 2013.

1. angelbabe01

angelbabe01 New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    About a week ago I went out to tend to my birds and found one of my black sexlings with her head gashed open! We got it cleaned up and she was ok! Then this morning i again went out and went in and found my full grown turkey laying on the ground dead, with my other turkey stuck in the corner terrified to come out!

We have (had) two grown turkeys, 3 black sexlings, 5 Jersey Giants (including a rooster), 2 white Chinese Geese, and 2 indian runners, in one shelter (because they choose to go in there). The other shelter is all ducks, and they had no access when these incidences.
    I dont know what happened and really concerned for my other birds

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What sort of damage did your dead turkey have? How secure is the area where they are? The geese and maybe the roo could take on an adult turkey maybe, but I would be wondering if you have some other predator attacking your birds, rather than one of them doing it.

3. angelbabe01

angelbabe01 New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    They were all in the closed pen because it gets eally cold at night and he only had a small whole in his side in a large chunk of the meat! My husband and I wonder if he was fighting with the other turkey and had a heart attack! He was like 50lbs this last week, so he was a hefty bird. We dont know though and we think the whole might have been from the other birds picking at him! I dont know what to think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by