Need help with first time hatch (update)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ekemily, Nov 21, 2010.

1. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    My eggs started pipping this morning. I noticed that some pipped facing downwards, towards the bottom of the incubator. Should I roll them over so that the pip is facing upwards? Thanks for any help!

[​IMG] !UPDATE!
    One of my babies has hatched! He is knocking around all of the other eggs that have pipped. [​IMG] Day 21 is not officially until Tuesday night. Is that too long to leave him/her in there?
    When can I take him out?[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    No, Don't Open the Bator! Sit on Your Hands!

Ok, now that that is taken care of. It can take 24 hours (sometimes more, often less) from pip to hatch. It doesn't matter if the pip is toward the floor, the chick will still be able to zip. Just wait until one hatches and gets all rested up and then starts playing egg soccer with its slower hatch mates--that will drive you crazy, but you still shouldn't open the bator. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  3. ekemily

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Also another question:
    How long should it take for the chick to get dry in the incubator?

4. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

it depends on your humidity.the chicks will be ok for a couple days,so be patient. LOL.i know its hard

5. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How did the hatch go? Pictures?.....[​IMG]

6. howeser

howeser Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    Lansing
    must be really busy with the new peeps...

7. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    You sound just like me when I just had my first hatch last weekend! I had the same questions! My chicks are now happy and healthy at 2-3 days old!

8. ekemily

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I had 16 eggs, and now I have 13 babies with one still to hatch. It's the egg in my avatar. I see it moving.... maybe it's just a late bloomer. I'm not giving up on it yet. One of my eggs pipped and then died. The baby was deformed. One of my babies came out, made it to the brooder, then looked like it was having difficulty. It died the second day of life. It look like it was "gummed up" when I looked in the beak. I had 100% fertility, which was neat.
    Thank you all for your help! Here is the pic of the first scoundrel to make it out and start knocking everyone around. It's a cuckoo marans(roo) x buff rock. I guess it's a roo.
    He's the first chick ever to hatch
    [​IMG]

Later, all fluffed up
    [​IMG]

9. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG]

Super sweet, thanks for posting the pics. I'm sorry you lost a couple, but sounds like all in all you had a great hatch. [​IMG]

10. CallyB57

CallyB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I need to hatch one egg, and I have no incubator. Can anyone help me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by