need help with foot problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by callisto, Aug 3, 2014.

1. callisto

callisto Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    When we bought our farm, the previous owners left 8 chickens behind. This one always walked funny, like a penguin. We thought it was because she was so big. We didn't notice her feet for a week or two after moving in. Her feet looked like she had arthritis. Her toes are curled, and feel almost like concrete. She is missing the nail on one toe. I am too new to chicken keeping to know what is wrong.
    Over the winter she seemed fairly normal, like the other chickens.Around May she started limping. I first soaked her feet in warm water with epsom salts. She wasn't happy. I put vaseline on her legs in case it was scaley leg mites. No better, no worse. I looked for a plug to see if it was bumblefoot. No luck. I bought the tricide-neo powder and soaked her feet in it for three weeks just in case. While she walked a little better, it didn't look any different. I went back to possible leg mites and coated her legs in mineral oil. Some time between all that I sprayed her legs with the purple antibiotic.
    She always kept to herself. No one bothered her. She eats like a horse and comes running for treats. Today she left the pen with the rest of the chickens and is free ranging. The last time she did that was in Nov. when we bought this place.
    The left photo is from today. This isn't a great photo because she runs when she sees me now. So I can't get too close for a photo. The right photo if from Nov. I found a photo and zoomed in. [​IMG]

The right foot is the worst. I can't tell if she is limping from pain or just because the foot is deformed. The people who owned her raised chickens to sell eggs, so I can't believe they wouldn't have treated her if she was sick.
    Does anyone know what this is? If so, how do I treat it? We were about to just put her down in case she was hurting or contagious, but if she is getting better, we want to help.
    Also, a neighbor said there was a chicken here that laid green eggs. It may be her. As far as I know, she hasn't laid any eggs. Her comb has been pink. Today it turned bright red. I found an egg on 2 different days by the ramp where she spends most of her day. She roosts on the highest roost and jumps on and off on her own. She has her regular spot and everyone moves out of her way.
    I want to do the right thing for her. I can't separate her right now as everything I could have used for her is being used as a brooder.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Diane[​IMG]

2. callisto

Feb 18, 2014
    It moved my photos. Top photo is from Nov. The Bottom one is from today.
    Diane

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I can't really tell much from the photos. Check underneath her feet to see if she has a black scab for bumblefoot. If not I would start out by treating for scaly leg mites. Soak her feet in warm Epsom salts water for 10 minutes if you can go that long. Then dry them and apply Vaseline or dip them in vegetable oil. See if you can get better pics soon. In the meantime this won't hurt.

4. callisto

Feb 18, 2014
    Here is a new photo. Maybe this will be better.[​IMG]
    Thank you.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Unless there is a black scab under the foot on the pad I would treat for scaly leg mites. I have treated them by dipping the legs in vegetable oil every few days. You could also soak them first each time in Epsom salts warm water to help soften the crusts. Just don't yank them off though. They can bleed and then you run the risk of a secondary infection. it may take a few weeks for them to recover. THey are pretty bad. Look at the bottom of the foot first though I am pretty sure there are mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by