Need help with Gender/Breed Identification

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brownsunshine, May 12, 2011.

1. brownsunshine

brownsunshine Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Ripley, WV
    Please help! I have two that came out of the specialty bin and one, the brown one, that came out of the pullet bin. I checked their vents throughout their little lives and have not seen anything that points to roo, but the older they get, the more suspicious I become.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope these photos are helpful. I have been trying to figure their gender/breeds out for weeks.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I am not sure, but I think you've got some black sex links and a red sex link....They are excellent layers! Lucky you! I think they are hens.

3. brownsunshine

May 9, 2011
    Ripley, WV
    [​IMG]

I thought I should post a pic of the brown ones back feathers, just in case it is needed. I'm pretty sure she is a hen. She is the nicest one and "talks" to me the most.

4. brownsunshine

May 9, 2011
    Ripley, WV
    Quote:I thought they were black sex link~ I guess i'm not totally lost. And that is what we want- lots and lots of eggs! I am so happy to think they are hens~ I do as well, but I'm scared! Lol [​IMG]

I saw some pics of some black sex link hens that seemed to have larger combs than the males, so I felt better about that, but after reading several posts about breeds I became anxious! Thanks for posting!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I bought six "red pullets" from TSC, and I was so worried that three of them might be roosters, because they got HUGE very quickly and they had very thick legs....But they are all pullets, and like yours, they are very chatty and friendly. They come up to me, even when they're free ranging, to be picked up and cuddled.......

Sooo cute!

6. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Going by the red comb and wattles on the black one, I'd say roo. The brown one looks pullet. Can't help you with the breeds. [​IMG]

7. brownsunshine

May 9, 2011
    Ripley, WV
    Everytime I feed them they try to eat out of my hand, it's so sweet [​IMG] I think they really like me, and I REALLY like them, so i'm REALLY hoping for hens! We have a small space, close to neighbors, and I don't think a roo would be welcomed by any of us! Especially since I like to sleep in [​IMG] I got these babes from TSC and they didn't know what they sold me. That was frustrating.. next time I buy I'm going to buy from someone reliable [​IMG]

8. brownsunshine

May 9, 2011
    Ripley, WV
    Quote:There is an iguana in the background of this pic in case anyone was wondering [​IMG] The chickens don't even recognize her as a living thing.. they try to perch on her tail and everything. What a strange thing, I thought!

9. brownsunshine

May 9, 2011
    Ripley, WV
    i would really love to keep them if they were roosters just for the experience, but i don't think they are welcome here! i would really hate to give them up as well. i hope i get more responses, it would be great to know what people thought about these three little lovelies!

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  10. brownsunshine

May 9, 2011
    Ripley, WV
    UPDATE on my birds ~

Pretty sure I got the breeds figured out. Australorp mixed with barred rock and rhode island red probably also mixed with barred rock. I can't wait to get more hens! I think I'm going to try some easter eggers [​IMG] The two black ones have greenish blue tint to them now and the brown one has some black and white feathers coming in, especially on the neck and end of wings.

[​IMG]
    ~Chillin~ [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hanging out outside for a bit ~

Last edited: May 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by