Need help with gender of our 3 9wk old Dark Barred PR's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Luvmychookens, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Luvmychookens

Luvmychookens Just Hatched

Nov 28, 2016
    Brisbane Qld
    Hi there, originally thought we had 2 rois and a pullet but now I'm just not sure. Only suspected roos due to different body shape. Everything else they have been identical. They all have the same colouring (none are noticeable lighter), combs and gobbles are growing and colouring the same and they all have the dark stain on front of their legs. Now as they are getting older, I can barley tell them apart as the suspect roos have fille out and now all 3 are similar in body shape also. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Being 9 weeks with combs that red already I would guess that they are all roosters.

3. Luvmychookens

Nov 28, 2016
    Brisbane Qld
    Oh bum! Guess I'm lucky I can have them sold at work to good homes should that be the case.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Wait it out....commercial Rocks can mature early.

I do see what are likely one or two roosters...the second picture may be a pullet though.

But again, wait it out at least several more weeks as commercial BR's pullets can mature early and be somewhat precocious.

LofMc

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  5. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    [​IMG]

Here is a barred rooster at about 10 to 12 weeks of age.

LofMc

6. Luvmychookens

Nov 28, 2016
    Brisbane Qld
    Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed we still have a pullet in there somewhere.

7. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    ...oh and the leg wash, coloring, doesn't really tell anything in commercial lines. BR's are sexable at early ages only in carefully controlled lines, within the lines.

And it is very hard to tell white on black or black on white until maturity.

LofMc

8. Luvmychookens

Nov 28, 2016
    Brisbane Qld
    They turn 10 weeks in a couple of days so a few more weeks will hopefully tell us.

9. Luvmychookens

Nov 28, 2016
    Brisbane Qld
    Thanks very much for the info.

10. Luvmychookens

Nov 28, 2016
    Brisbane Qld
    I only purchased the eggs from a local rock breeder who had a mix of white and Barred runing togther so not certain of the qlty of the line. They were hatched by our clucky SL Wyandotte so our 4yr old son could experience having chicks. We were hoping for a girl for our neighbours to keep so he could keep one "but it lives next door" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by