Need help with giving oral medications

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by duckking, Oct 15, 2012.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    About a week ago my jersey giant got sour crop. The vet gave us oral medication (5.5 ml of amoxicillin twice a day). Everything was fine until I found out my dad will be leaving for 4 days. She needs her meds but I don't know how to give her the meds without my dad holding her beak open. Does any one have any helpful ways to give oral meds without the help of a second person? I tried to give it to her in bread but she would not take it.
    Thanks
    Jackson
    P.S is it true amoxicillin expires after 10 days?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have given oral meds alone.

Sit down cross legged and hold the bird against your side craddled into your hip so that she is tucked firmly between your thigh, your elbow and your side. The bird is now secure and supported and you still have the use of both your hands. With the arm that is holding the bird against my body I then wrap my palm around the back of her head and use my thumb nail to get between her beak to open it. As soon as it opens I slide the edge of my thumb along the side of her mouth to hold it open. I use my other fingers to support her chin. Gentle but firm. Don't tip her head back, just hold it still and in a normal position. She now can not move her head as my hand is wrapped completely around it.

My other hand is still completely free to use the oral syringe. I do just a little bit at a time into the slide of her mouth letting her swallow each time. Do NOT put any liquid into her throat. Take your time and let her swallow on her own. Be gentle gather than forceful.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    Rap her up like a burrito in a towel, and hold her in your lap, do you have a syringe? that will make it easier to hold and squeeze out with one hand while you hold your girls head with the other

4. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Ok ill have try either of these two options. Any info about the amoxicillin?

5. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    the amoxicillin is usually a powder that is mixed with water, flavor, etc by the vet, and yes it is not much good after 10 days once it is mixed from powdered state.If ya missed a dose or two and its day 11 or 12 if it were me I'd still finish the antibiotic......

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Ok because I missed 2 dose's due to the stomach flu.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Pull the wattles down while cradling the bird in your arm and her mouth will open. Use a syringe without a needle and squirt 1/2ml into her mouth and release the wattles so's she can swallow the liquid on her own and not aspirate. Repeat this until you've dosed her the complete 5.5ml's.

8. gibsterl

gibsterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Amoxicillin is good for 14 days after it is mixed-after that it's potency can not be guaranteed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by